Gardening, some advise requested.

iainmortimer

The weekend has arrived, had some time to tidy, expand and dig in some farmyard manure.
Now I want to plan what to grow and how to set it out.
Rhubarb is something I want, and other veg.
Still I feel like I have done good for my head and my heart.
View attachment 44106
That’s looking great. If you want an easy start stick some onion sets in for an earlier crop 😉

Whinging pom

Use Christmas as an excuse to get some really good hand tools . You’ll be using them a lot , good ones are a joy to use and even better when a present off a loved one 😁
Mine I carry always to work and often lend them to gardeners who usually end up buying the same
I don’t know the cost now , I’ve had mine for 15- 20 years , they are a lot! But you only need to start with the fork and trowel.
My favourite and most used is the really wide flat trowel!
F15AFC49-FB5A-4D62-A4A1-0393F634530E.jpeg
my constant companions 😁 the one on the right is really adaptable to so many tasks . However I’d start with the middle two.

Edit : my mam when I went to horticultural college bought me a set of Bulldog hand tools , they were like rolls royces of British tools and I thought I’d treasure them forever. Then I worked at a large garden with one of the trowels in the centrefold the picture, in the tools shed about 20 years ago.
What a difference !
I still have the bulldogs somewhere stashed away as a keepsake only.

Last edited:

Riffler

Any sign of;
Muntjac?
Rabbits?
Collared Doves?
Wood pigeon?

Then sadly, you are going to need a complete covering of chicken wire, with iron fencing pins.

ohanzee

Then an explanation for the police when they surround your house with an armed response team.

Paul_B

Any sign of;
Muntjac?
Rabbits?
Collared Doves?
Wood pigeon?

Then sadly, you are going to need a complete covering of chicken wire, with iron fencing pins.

I have woodpigeon that occasionally have a go at my brassica, not a bad thing thing as they taste better than a cabbage and they're easy to shoot from my bedroom window ;)

williegunn

I imagine most neighbours would be fine with next door firing a gun over the fence :unsure:
Most people with guns would try to keep the shot inside the fence where the vermin are destroying the crops. Anyone shooting a gun over the fence must be registered blind.

ohanzee

Out in the garden with bird song and the sound of spade on well tilled soil....and your neigbour shooting stuff 😬

Oldbones

Use Christmas as an excuse to get some really good hand tools . You’ll be using them a lot , good ones are a joy to use and even better when a present off a loved one 😁
Mine I carry always to work and often lend them to gardeners who usually end up buying the same
I don’t know the cost now , I’ve had mine for 15- 20 years , they are a lot! But you only need to start with the fork and trowel.
My favourite and most used is the really wide flat trowel!
View attachment 44170
my constant companions 😁 the one on the right is really adaptable to so many tasks . However I’d start with the middle two.

Edit : my mam when I went to horticultural college bought me a set of Bulldog hand tools , they were like rolls royces of British tools and I thought I’d treasure them forever. Then I worked at a large garden with one of the trowels in the centrefold the picture, in the tools shed about 20 years ago.
What a difference !
I still have the bulldogs somewhere stashed away as a keepsake only.
I have some tools, I will need to take stock, I hardly buy any new stuff, I find them at car boots and such places.

Oldbones

Any sign of;
Muntjac?
Rabbits?
Collared Doves?
Wood pigeon?

I have no fears, we have accounted for this and the guard tower is occupied with a deadly member of my family.
We also have a sausage dog which it as daft as a brush . Rushes around checking up on things.
But make no mistake, Willow the cat will manage the place while I am not there, even though she looks very cute and fluffy. She has had more than nine lives and is amazing. She is aloof and snobby but can kick ass.
The tower with the guard.
The shed roof is fixed now, dont worry
20210912_130017.jpg

Whinging pom

Keep an eye out for an Irish shovel, its the best thing since sliced bread (y)
I second that, once youve used them its hard not to be converted. I have american long handled True tempers which are fabulous, and a small version I watched the mexican gardeners using in California and thought you lazy buggers! then i tried it, the best planting spade ever. I bought one and brought it back on the flight kindly stored in the front by a sympathetic airhostess.
I have some tools, I will need to take stock, I hardly buy any new stuff, I find them at car boots and such places.
Watch out for Elwell at car boots ( they were originally painted red) A good elwell spade with D handle gets about £80 now, the Blades are fabulous. Theres a completely steel Bulldog Fork that weighs a tonne that you sometimes see, they are bomb proof and really heavy duty, you cannot bend a tine on them.
What are these? never seen garden tools of this quality in my life
You should see my hedge shears!! they are special!

the trowels etc are Sneeboer hand made dutch tools,I daren't look at the catalogue.
For really good clients I sometimes by them a pair of these hand tools with there names on them, its a nice touch if your hoping for a return booking :)

blithfield2

If you follow Charles Dowding, you won't need digging tools - you let the wurrums carry out the hard work for you.

Whinging pom

If you follow Charles Dowding, you won't need digging tools - you let the wurrums carry out the hard work for you.
even charles dowding digs holes... his worms aren't that clever yet!

But I'm all for no digging over to be honest, I was taught and tested on single and double digging vegetable plots and borders before planting at college many moons ago,. But I can see now the damage it does to good fertile soil. I think the key to oldbones success with his veg is not in the digging but a good grasp of crop rotation, scrupulous hoeing for moisture retention as much as for weeding, and good compost production. which in turn means good worm production. and so the cycle starts and continues
sorry cant resist

Whinging pom

Keep an eye out for an Irish shovel, its the best thing since sliced bread (y)
For anyone interested in this best thing since sliced bread , this is the American version. Not as sharp a point as the Irish and with treads. The Irish makes better dome shaped holes. This one you can really cut down hard.
For digging or shovelling they don’t half save your back. C9E63366-167C-444F-84D4-698992DCFF1A.jpeg
Right is my American spade, middle the Japanese gold spade ( a little digging machine) the blade shape penetrates really well especially when there’s roots and a great planting tool.
And left the ladies fork for repairing footmarks on the border( not for heavy work!).essential for good soil

Latest posts