General Nature Photos

sweenytodd

Sandy , that beetle shot is fantastic !!:cool: I take it you staged it yes ?? Doesn't take away from the pic in anyway was just wondering ...

Fishtales

Nope, straight from the wild. I was lying on my stomach with the camera as close as I could get it with a macro filter on the lens.

sweenytodd

Nope, straight from the wild. I was lying on my stomach with the camera as close as I could get it with a macro filter on the lens.

Fair ****s to ya then ,as I said wouldn't have taken away from it anyway , was just interested to know :guinness:

I love macro shots and wish I could have more than I point and shoot compact :(

Mind you with a little luck I sometimes get some nice ones with it , Nikon coolpix 5600

Damsel5.jpg

Damsel6.jpg

Damsel7.jpg

Fishtales

Patience and a steady hand payed off for you though :)

This is the original picture of the Green Tiger Beetle. As you can see I cropped a fair bit out of it :)

green-tiger-beetle-007.jpg

sweenytodd

Patience and a steady hand payed off for you though :)

This is the original picture of the Green Tiger Beetle. As you can see I cropped a fair bit out of it :)

Yeah cheers they not perfect but not bad for a wee point and shoot job , steady hand ?? There was a roach attached to the other end tugging away :D

Well I spose when cropping like that it is even more important to have good camera and have everything bang on , anyway no more rambling , lets leave it to the pictures :)

Cap'n Fishy

Slow-worm

I know next to nothing about slow-worms, save that they are legless lizards (I've been legless a few times myself :wine:). I was walking up the dirt track on my way back to the car from the Tay yesterday and I came across a dead one lying in the middle of the track. It was in 2 pieces, with the last 4 inches of its tail lying alongside the rest of it. The last half inch of the broken end of the main bit was nearly off as well. Very strange. I know they can shed their tails, but the tail was broken off half way rather than it being the whole tail (going by where its cloaca was situated - I'm assuming that is fairly much the beginning of its tail) The whole thing was about 15 inches if you joined it back together. The only other sign of damage was a rather flattened section of about an inch long, about 3 inches behind its head, like it had been squished by something. There was no sign of kids on bikes only a couple of lassies on horses and a horse would have done much more damage if it had trod on it.

I don't normally photograph dead things, but I couldn't resist bringing it home for a go with the macro lens... I no doubt did a buzzard out of a meal.

Colours maybe a wee bit faded by next day (didn't have time last night). Overall it has a dark olive hue.

Click on images for 1000 px wide

7089.jpg

7092.jpg

Col

guest21

Took this one last year, from our back bedroom.Didn't have time to change any camera settings as I had to be super-fast with the shot taken through double glazing too!
SNB20864.jpg

sweenytodd

Don't want to talk about it as I am just getting over the whole experience :eek:

DSCN5293-1.jpg

DSCN5285-1.jpg

DSCN5288-1.jpg

DSCN5289-1.jpg

Last edited:

danielp

Quick question for you birdies out there. Saw a pair of birs flying around the pub garden today that I am pretty sure I have never seen before. They were a similar overall colour to a chaffinch but a fair bit bigger with much longer tails (more like a wagtail size and shape although they were definitely not pied or yellow). They also had a small crest pointing back off their heads.

Any ideas? Got me stumped!

Cheers Dan

Sunrider

Quick question for you birdies out there. Saw a pair of birs flying around the pub garden today that I am pretty sure I have never seen before. They were a similar overall colour to a chaffinch but a fair bit bigger with much longer tails (more like a wagtail size and shape although they were definitely not pied or yellow). They also had a small crest pointing back off their heads.

Any ideas? Got me stumped!

Cheers Dan

Hmm, nothing springs to mind. Any other info?

Some pics from my New Zealand trip a few years back.

GuineaFowl.jpg

WhiteFacedHeron.jpg

Duskybigjump.jpg

Spermdive1.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Superb macro shots Stu. I just can't get the lighting like that - think I will give up on bug shots.

Back to birds.... :whistle:

0965.jpg

1253.jpg

1296.jpg

1374.jpg

3050.jpg

Col

Awsome pics. What lens were you using?