General Nature Photos

Cap'n Fishy

Quick question for you birdies out there. Saw a pair of birs flying around the pub garden today that I am pretty sure I have never seen before. They were a similar overall colour to a chaffinch but a fair bit bigger with much longer tails (more like a wagtail size and shape although they were definitely not pied or yellow). They also had a small crest pointing back off their heads.

Any ideas? Got me stumped!

Cheers Dan

Hi Dan/

Sounds a lot like bramblings. We had some on the feeders at work during the winter. Check out the various photos of them on the RSPB website. I never had a chance at them with my own long lens. Here's the only shot I got while they were there, taken through the window with the works' macro lens!

3510.jpg

The guy front and centre is a male brambling.

Do I win £5?

Col

Sunrider

Those were taken with a Canon EF 100-400 mm IS f4.5-5.6... all at 400 mm needless to say :p

Col

They're really sharp with great colours - good work.

I need a longer lens. Mine were all done with an Sigma 300mm which means I'm limited on distance - I have to get quite close to what I'm shooting and birds tend not to like that too much. The auto focus is way too slow as well.

Cap'n Fishy

They're really sharp with great colours - good work.

I need a longer lens. Mine were all done with an Sigma 300mm which means I'm limited on distance - I have to get quite close to what I'm shooting and birds tend not to like that too much. The auto focus is way too slow as well.

Aye, the AF is always at the mercy of the max aperture of the lens, which in turn is at the mercy of your bank balance :p

Are you bound by the constraints of Canon or Nikon fit?

Col

danielp

Hi Dan/

The guy front and centre is a male brambling.

Do I win £5?

Col

Spot on Col, no question there. Never seen them before! Lovely looking birds, guessing the two males were having a little disagreement over some ladies which I could not see.

Are they seasonal visitors or with us all year? Surprised I have never seen them as used to spend a lot of time bird watching as a youngster!

Cap'n Fishy

Spot on Col, no question there. Never seen them before! Lovely looking birds, guessing the two males were having a little disagreement over some ladies which I could not see.

Are they seasonal visitors or with us all year? Surprised I have never seen them as used to spend a lot of time bird watching as a youngster!

Not an expert myself, but consulted Collins' Guide. I suspect they, among many other birds that do not normally visit our feeders, or even our country, were blown here by the easterlies from Siberia that brought us the bad weather last December. Collins says they breed/summer in northern Scandinavia and Russia, and winter in southern Europe, including England. Scotland only features as a migratory route, but our ones were present (in East Lothian) from December until about late February.

The other 'exotics' we got on the feeders this winter were redpolls. They arrived a bit later than the bramblings and stayed later. A dozen or so siskins as well. All moved on now!

Col

Sunrider

Aye, the AF is always at the mercy of the max aperture of the lens, which in turn is at the mercy of your bank balance :p

Are you bound by the constraints of Canon or Nikon fit?

Col

I'm a Nikon man. I do need to upgrade but it's going to cost me £400 for the upgrade which isn't too bad but once you go beyond that (300mm+) you're talking big bucks which the wife might complain about.;)

I'm going to invest in a good scope in the future and try digiscoping as an alternative.

Cap'n Fishy

I'm a Nikon man. I do need to upgrade but it's going to cost me £400 for the upgrade which isn't too bad but once you go beyond that (300mm+) you're talking big bucks which the wife might complain about.;)

I'm going to invest in a good scope in the future and try digiscoping as an alternative.

What you considering then? Tamron 200-500mm? A Bigma???

WelshOsprey

Could it be a Waxwing?

Quick question for you birdies out there. Saw a pair of birs flying around the pub garden today that I am pretty sure I have never seen before. They were a similar overall colour to a chaffinch but a fair bit bigger with much longer tails (more like a wagtail size and shape although they were definitely not pied or yellow). They also had a small crest pointing back off their heads.

Any ideas? Got me stumped!

Cheers Dan

Sunrider

What you considering then? Tamron 200-500mm? A Bigma???

A direct replacement would be the Nikon VR 70-300mm IF-ED which is £400. It's a good lens and the VR helps hugely when shooting at longer distance.

I do a lot of bird watching so buying a better scope and an attachment for the camera kills two birds with one stone but I'll save for a Swarovsky if I go down that route. You can get some pretty good results even at real distance and getting a comparable lens for the camera would mean spending several K. I'd rather get a better body (the camera, not mine).

graylinghunter

Re: General Nature Photos Grebe with Chicks

854CC1A1B1DE4101A03B01ED807F1F2C.jpg

C703CFDDDEBD4D198B6779EBB2A7E6F1.jpg

0B1421E6E4174841AE500B1E363379D3.jpg

A delightfully elegant waterbird with ornate head plumes which led to its being hunted for its feathers, almost leading to its extermination from the UK. They dive to feed and also to escape, preferring this to flying. On land they are clumsy because their feet are placed so far back on their bodies. They have an elaborate courtship display in which they rise out of the water and shake their heads. Very young grebes often ride on their parents' backs.
See chick in Photo

Last edited:

Guest100

Nice grebe shots Phil, lovely and sharp.:)

Had a visitor to the boat yesterday, managed to fire a few off before he decided my ham sandwiches were not for him.:)

5856643508_ce08a3acac_z.jpg

5856089769_4ea694ce14_z.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

Re: General Nature Photos Grebe with Chicks

It's amazing how often you find in nature, combinations of colours that have evolved completely naturally, that just look superb in a purely aesthetic way to our eye. Those grebes have it. They remind me of one time many years ago when I was in a zoo, and I spent about a full 30 minutes just staring at the skin of a python in pure wonderment at how all the colours and patterning just 'worked' so well.

If I wasn't a card-carrying atheist...

Col

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Beauties Stu.

Eddie O'Neill

Great pics:thumbs: I had a cygnet take my shipmans buzzer the other day,it must have dashed 20 yards for it. The adults went mad:mad::mad: Managed to shake it off after a few mins. You don't want to **** off Swans.:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Fishtales

Some really nice pictures coming through this thread. I thought I would share a couple of ones I took lately.

Hen Pheasant

pheasant-hens-head-001.jpg

Curlew and Oystercatchers

curlew-oystercatchers-flying-001.jpg

Baby Moorhen

moorhen-baby-001.jpg

Click on the pictures for full size.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Riverbank walk

Some really stunning pics on here so mine will not be quite as startling. Too hot to go fishing today so decided to go for a walk along my local river. I have a thing about reflections on water so took a few shots and seen one or two nice trout along the way that had me wishing i'd had my weaponry with me, hope you like them.

river-8.jpg

river7.jpg

river6.jpg

river5.jpg

river4.jpg

river2.jpg

river1.jpg

And finally some dude who wanted to get in on a picture.....b*^"*y poser:D
river10.jpg

cheers

mark

Latest posts