General Nature Photos

Didgeridoo

Red Foxes- there was a family of five that were hanging around early Saturday morning. They were a blast to watch and totally unafraid of us.

IMGP4211.jpg

Checked out one of the few freestone rivers we have around here and found a bunch of golden stoneflies.

IMGP4324.jpg

IMGP4306.jpg

Freshly hatched damsel
IMGP4132.jpg

Hex hitchin' a ride on my hat
IMGP4139.jpg

Midge taking shelter from a midday shower.
IMGP3758.jpg

Whitetail doe
IMGP2945.jpg

DSCN2134.jpg
DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN2135.jpg

A couple taken yesterday,only a few days old ,still a little unsteady on its feet,but great to see.

Last edited:

danielp

Got my first dSLR yesterday and took it out for a spin today. Got a long way to go before I produce images as good as those on here but thought I would share some anyway.

Any advice on where I need to improve will be greatly appreciated! Really stumbling in the dark at the moment.

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4687-2.jpg

Comments, criticism and advice please.

edit: forgot to say all were taken with a 40d at 250mm f5.6. Dont have a macro lens yet but it is on the list!

Cap'n Fishy

Comments, criticism and advice please.

Hi/

Excellent results for a first attempt there. Looks like you captured some hover-fly dogging action in the 1st one :D

You didn't say whether you captured JPEGs or RAWs. I'm guessing as it is your first attempt you went with JPEGs. They are a bit flat and 'muddy'. If I had shot those, I would be looking to ramp up the contrast a bit to get some black pixels and some white pixels in there. Maybe take the colour saturation up a notch as well. That's just feedback, not criticism. You've admitted you have a long way to travel. Just start by making some time for yourself to sit down with the camera and the instruction manual and read your way through the whole thing, doing test shots as you go and looking at the results you get - it's not a big manual - I think my 40D took me half a day.

If I can make one recommendation to you it is to make the move to shooting RAW files and processing them in Adobe Camera RAW at the earliest opportunity. Once you get the hang of RAWs you'll never shoot JPEGs again.

OK - one more recommendation - take loads of shots. If you only manage one great shot in 100, then you need to take 100 shots. Bin 99 of them and you will have that great shot. If you only take a handful, you will not have a great shot and you will press one that is only B or C rate into service.

Here's my figures from our week on Orkney, end of June:

Frames shot = 1388 (admittedly a lot of bracketed exposures in there)
Frames processed = 127
Ones I like = about a dozen - give or take... :whistle:

Col

danielp

Cheers for the feedback Col much appreciated.

I noticed the colours all look a bit bland (it was a real murky dingy day) but didnt really know how to correct them. Just downloaded a trial version of Lightbox to have a play with.

Will definitely shoot the next batch in RAW and give a bit more attention to the tweaking afterwards.

Am off the CLA game fair for the weekend so will hopefully ahve a fair few photos at the end to play with.

I noticed with some of the photos there seemed to be a fair bit of grainy noise in the background. I presume this is because I was trying to shoot with a fixed high shutter speed in relatively low light. Are there any hints on how to avoid this?

Cheers and I look forward to bugging you even more as i learn lol.

Dan

Cap'n Fishy

Cheers for the feedback Col much appreciated.

I noticed the colours all look a bit bland (it was a real murky dingy day) but didnt really know how to correct them. Just downloaded a trial version of Lightbox to have a play with.

Will definitely shoot the next batch in RAW and give a bit more attention to the tweaking afterwards.

Am off the CLA game fair for the weekend so will hopefully ahve a fair few photos at the end to play with.

I noticed with some of the photos there seemed to be a fair bit of grainy noise in the background. I presume this is because I was trying to shoot with a fixed high shutter speed in relatively low light. Are there any hints on how to avoid this?

Cheers and I look forward to bugging you even more as i learn lol.

Dan

Hi Dan/

On your high shutter speed shots, were you on auto ISO, and if so, what ISO was it giving you? The 40D is noisy above about ISO 400 when the shutter speed is not resultantly all that fast. There are noise reduction settings in the 40D's menus but again, if you shoot RAW and process in ACR, the noise reduction tab offers good tools :thumbs:

Think of high shutter speeds (1/1000s or faster) as a luxury for which there are prices that have to be paid ;)

Col

danielp

I wasn't on auto but in order to get the little flashy underexposure warning light thing to stop I had to tune it up to ISO 800 for most of the shots.

When I get a bit more money I am going to try and buy a zoom lens with a larger aperture, highest my current lens can go is 5.6 at 250mm.

Cap'n Fishy

I wasn't on auto but in order to get the little flashy underexposure warning light thing to stop I had to tune it up to ISO 800 for most of the shots.

When I get a bit more money I am going to try and buy a zoom lens with a larger aperture, highest my current lens can go is 5.6 at 250mm.

Hi Dan/

Yep, that's all in order. ISO 800 and the likes will be required to give you fast shutter speeds at f5.6 in all but very bright conditions, and it will give you a bit noise on the 40D. ACR noise reduction (or 3rd party software) does a good job on it though.

You are on the right track :thumbs:

Col

Guest100

Thanks Col,

The fly shot is as follows:

Aperture Priority, f/5.6, 1/100th sec, ISO 200, +0.7 EV

The hover fly shot is:

Aperture Priority, f/9, 1/125th sec, ISO 200, 0 EV.

As for set up Col, I just bolt my cheap tripod to the camera and walk around. Those shots were taken while out in some formal gardens with the children and SWMBO. The children run off ahead leaving me to quickly set up if the chance presents itself, all I need to do is open up the legs of the tripod, try and get as close as I can (a good tip here is - don't go straight in as tight as the lens will allow, but work your way in, taking shots as you go, they tend to sit a little better this way) The beauty of this time of year there are always bugs about, and some are pretty good subjects too.

Aye you're spot right about the lens, all with the 105mm.

Guest100

Just for a bit of encouragement to those who think they need massively expensive kit to take good macro shots; here's one SWMBO took with £70 Casio compact.

5990914683_db8148e60f_z.jpg

Latest posts