General tinkering thread ..

G

guest54

Be interested to see this expensive motor David.
S.
Will post it up when finished Steven.
Found two old oak drawer fronts in a skip this morning, several coats of paint on them but I'll strip that off and use the wood for some book ends for the shelf, the ones I made in pine yesterday are not that great but I did find a couple of old aluminium castings I'd like to mount on them. I was a pattern maker for many years and that industrial look appeals to me. Dug out a pair of old rimfly's for the other book ends but I don't fancy stripping and polishing them in the workshop in this hot weather, I'd come out of there like a baked potato, black from head to foot and burned to a crisp.

G

guest54

@bumble does a pattern maker work in metal moulding?

Cheers Al
Yes, metal patterns for sand casting and mould boxes for die casting and styrene lost mould casting.
I also worked on wood and resin patterns.
The fact is that almost everything you have owned and touched that was made by human beings involved a patternmaker or toolmaker in it's manufacture.

Finished a couple of bookends made from the old oak drawer fronts I found this morning, a couple of castings from the back of the shed seemed appropriate for the engineering books.
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg

The shelf is not finished yet and the shelf bracket still needs fettling, polishing and painting, grey primer seems appropriate to match the castings.
IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:

Lewis Chessman

I think that's truly wonderful, Simon, a thing of beauty!
I'm no artist but you know, as a fisherman, when someone's got the lines of a fish wrong - and it happens so often that I'm convinced it ain't easy. ;)
But yours is spot on. Not only that, it's a fish on the move and that's got to be harder to get right, right?
I think it's stunning, and I'm in awe*.

You should post it as a 'What Have I Got - Salmon or Sea Trout?' thread. :D

* As, btw, were my pals in the Fishery office this afternoon when I showed them the rod. ''One of the nicest inserts I've ever seen,'' said one.
You're an exceptionally talented man, Mr. Splinters. I raise my glass to you.

easker1

I make furled leaders some times, using a single twist point, twisting up and then finding the middle of the length, and then bring the ends together and then the system will twist any way, if a weight is put at the centre point and left to hang it will twist up when it stops you have a leader, I used to do something similar making snoods for a Long line, but out of Courlene, the old timers used Horse hair, but much shorter, easker1