Geoffrey Bucknall

tbs

It is with sadness that we say goodbye to Geoffrey Bucknall who died in April. For those of you who don’t get T&S where there is an obituary I also share this one I found in the Teasdale Mercury as Geoff had moved there from Kent.
Many will have got to know Geoff a little through his books or through his talks he gave to anglers and flytiers.
He was a very fine Gentleman indeed, who never lost his simple passion for angling.
He was constructive in bringing me to the world of fly fishing, when I would pop into his shop at Loampit Vale, Lewisham as I saved my money and eventually I made the plunge and kitted myself out with Bag, Lines, Reel, Net, and Rod etc all on a modest budget.
As I was doing this, he stopped me and said, hang on lad, I think I might have something better than that Rod that will suit your purposes which he said he had only used a couple of times and was a very good Rod.
He bought me out a Loomis which I had never heard of at that stage. He included it in my purchase at the price of a cheep Rod, and was genuinely pleased to be giving me a good start In my future hobby of fly fishing.
Geoff you will always be remembered by me as the perfect Gentleman, so kind and so knowledgable and I am ever indebted to him for opening up the joy of fly fishing to me.
I truely thank you Geoff for your inspiration.
May you rest in Peace and rise in Glory.

Last edited:

tbs

I knew Geoff quiet well, visited his shop in Lewisham many times. He used to give fly casting lessons next to the bus stop in Loampit Vale. As strange a sight as you are ever likely to see in rush hour traffic in the middle of London, nearest water was a good few miles away, it always made me smile that did.
I remember that well. Made the people on the passing busses look up !🙂

arkle

Geof, along with John Veniard were the guys who got me started in fly tying & fishing. Brilliant people,

Cap'n Fishy

It was GB's book I taught myself to tie flies with, all those years ago. I still have it...

I wrote my school class in it for some reason - second year, so I would have been 12 years-old at the time. It was first published in 1967, so that would have been the same year I bought it - priced at 15/-, a lot of money for a 12 year-old at that time. I maybe got it as a birthday present.

Col

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Yes, my first 'self-build' was a Geoffrey Bucknall 'Two Lakes', an 8ft 10", 2 piece glass rod - early 70s.
Still got my 2 lakes,I remember geoff at the fly dressing classes demonstrating how far he could wang out a shooting head with it,they were green blanks.
The later grey fibre glass ones were grey all the way thriugh the blank. I know this as a few of his ultimaye fiber glass rods had a tendency to explode when pushed hard !
Swmbo and i atteded his fly dressing classes ,I also bought from his lewisham shop and the later one near blackfriars .

Liathach

A great name in modern fly fishing for sure. He tied one of the first successful buzzer patterns which I believe he called the footballer nymph. Geoffrey Bucknall - a Great Brit.

Sash

He had a couple of years running a shop he set up in the London, called City Rod and Line, just off Ludgate Hill.
I still have packs of hooks, hackles and bits and bobs from him that will give me happy memories for the years to come: a lovely man

Reactions: tbs

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Early 70s I used to dress varients of the whisky fly, a fellow cook Julie and i worked in the City of London ,she lived in lewisham so had the task of buying the packets of veniards hot orange COCK hackles from Geoff in Loampit vale.She blushed a lot!

GEK79

I knew Geoff quiet well, visited his shop in Lewisham many times. He used to give fly casting lessons next to the bus stop in Loampit Vale. As strange a sight as you are ever likely to see in rush hour traffic in the middle of London, nearest water was a good few miles away, it always made me smile that did.
A great memory..

sabalos

Met him once, was fishing with a 10'6" loomis beast of a rod.
He had just got back from China or Korea. Factory out there had all the top fly rods of the day, copying all the tapers. Said it was the end of UK manufacturing....

Elwyman

Geoff was very well known back in the 70s when I started fly fishing. I had a friend who used to fish the Teesdale reservoirs, Cow Green etc, who knew Geoff. RIP Geoff.