Getting away with the "wrong line"

tobesfish

Hi,

I'm lokoing at a new rod fora very small stream I have found but can really get in there with my 9ft 4wt rod. I know the same type of rod is available in 6ft at 2wt but would that mean i need to buy new reel and line. Given the fact that very little fly line will ever be out for casting and control, do people think I could get away with using the same 4wt line and lightweight reel?

andygrey

The only real answer is try it.
A 'light' 4wt line on a 'fast' 2wt rod (admittedly quite a rare beast) could work. It also depends on your casting style and preference for rod actions/line profiles.
If your 4wt line is a WF then you could try reversing it...
Having said that there are some very good deals on lines and reels (Barrio for lines and SKB for reels). You could get sorted out for not much money.
Cheers

Andy

blox119

I use the same Barrio Smallstream #4 line with my 8' #4 and my 7' #3. As you say ther is rarely more than a couple of rod lengths of line out on small stream or brook. I find the heavier line loads the short rod better with short line length than a #3 line.

MrP

Hi,

I'm lokoing at a new rod fora very small stream I have found but can really get in there with my 9ft 4wt rod. I know the same type of rod is available in 6ft at 2wt but would that mean i need to buy new reel and line. Given the fact that very little fly line will ever be out for casting and control, do people think I could get away with using the same 4wt line and lightweight reel?

Stick the reel in your pocket and just use the top half of your 9ft rod.

pendlewitch

Hi,

If I can declare an interest here as I work in the trade as an agent I would give the Snowbee Thistledown 2 to 5w Multiweight line a look. It won best new fly line at EFFTEX for the 2014-2015 season and will, spookily, load rods between 2 wt and 5wt!

tobesfish

I've bought one of the thistledown lines so i'll let you know how i get on with it.

Latest posts