Is the Stripers Co-polymer easier to use than Sensei epoxy? Lovely rod, too!I won't lie - I've had trouble with this build.
First of all the Striper's Co-Polymer I was sent had a faulty bottle of adhesive. Somehow it had set inside the bottle. Most of it was rock hard but I managed to get a little glob of gloopy fluid out and, foolishly, hoped it was enough. I wasn't and never set.
I contacted John, the seller, and he was good about it. Said it was a first for him and sent out a replacement bottle post haste.
In the meantime I decided to remove as much of the tacky residue as I could with IPA then got out my dreaded FlexCoat Lite to continue the job.
I'm sure I got the 1:1 ratio right as I'm now using graduated 3 ml pipettes to measure, however whether I didn't mix well enough / whether it didn't sit well on the sticky undercoat / whether the room temp was too low I don't know but that too didn't harden totally.
The new bottle of c-p adhesive arrived and I have now applied that. It is definitely easier to work with than the FCL, thinner and a slightly longer working time. I now have a hard, glossy finish to the whippings.
Nevertheless, the end result is uneven and unsatisfactory, if functional. I don't have any 1200 w&d with me and am reluctant to use the nail polishing tool I have as I don't want to scratch the paintwork. I'm going to set this rod aside as it is fishable, just not as well finished as I'd like it to be. I've just had a wee grass-cast with a #3 Lee Wulff TT which sang out nicely enough. No doubt a #4 will perform even better - I'm just looking for a nice reel to crop up on eBay to carry a Cortland 444 #4 DT I have waiting - and lockdown to end, of course!
Aye, that's the very crux of it right there!I'd rather have too much than too little as it's the last but equally vital step in that builds journey.