Glass rods for streamers, what do you use?

running bear

Evening all

Do any of you use glass for the big streamers for trout in medium to large rivers?

I'm happy with the small to medium streamers on whatever carbon outfit I am using at the time, usually a 3 or 4wt.

I also have a dedicated medium fast 6wt streamer rod for the big heavy articulated streamers. It throws home made teeny type lines and the really big stuff, but from my pike fly fishing with 9" bunnies, I know that something a little more through actioned would be better.

Hence my thoughts on glass, some of the stuff I've read would suggest if I were to go that route, I may be fine with a 5wt.

Rivers I fish are medium to large, at least three of them have wild double figure trout in them and 5lb'ers are common enough to be ready for them, so whatever I choose must be up to the task.

Rhithrogena

Do any of you use glass for the big streamers for trout in medium to large rivers?
I will be interested in the replies too. I have recently bought a CTS Quartz 8'6 #6 which I intend to use for streamers and seatrout on small to medium rivers. It certainly casts a wf6 well, but I haven't fished it yet. It feels the part, and I am sure it will be fine but I can't recommend it yet...

Hardrar

Evening all

I'm happy with the small to medium streamers on whatever carbon outfit I am using at the time, usually a 3 or 4wt.

I also have a dedicated medium fast 6wt streamer rod for the big heavy articulated streamers. It throws home made teeny type lines and the really big stuff, but from my pike fly fishing with 9" bunnies, I know that something a little more through actioned would be better.

Hence my thoughts on glass, some of the stuff I've read would suggest if I were to go that route, I may be fine with a 5wt.

Rivers I fish are medium to large, at least three of them have wild double figure trout in them and 5lb'ers are common enough to be ready for them, so whatever I choose must be up to the task.
Epic Swift 580 it’s the go to rod in Nz. For their big Browns- 10 times the strength of carbon, this was a gone feral six pounder, on four pound Stroft tippet. It would have broken me on a carbon rod- it was very acrobatic! glass handles big heavy fish with consummate ease, blue water and Pike anglers are getting switched into them for the same reasons.
Since I started using fast glass a few years back, I have no desire to use a Carbon rod again.
Not a cheap option, but they are amazing to cast and play fish with- this was a custom build.
4193E06B-C5C6-4BB1-AC86-4CB4F00487A0.jpeg

037A9E8D-EAB2-49F8-B551-D61626EB92DB.jpeg

8AE60B86-3E70-4F2D-B78E-ECCE5F93AE8D.jpeg

Last edited:

sean freeman

I use a Haldin 78 which is an 8’ #7. Sadly it seems Markus Haldin is no longer in business which is a shame as they were excellent blanks for a great price. They came from the same factory as the newer Epic offerings (not CTS like the older Epics). Mine was built by Sandy Nelson, with a little Sex Dungeon streamer on the blank with his signature!

14B77F89-7210-4C3B-83FE-330095071357.jpeg

A8E04319-8A3D-4068-B847-60F8E6BC43DB.jpeg