Glencoe, Rubbish!!

codyarrow

If Skye returns to pre covid levels of tourism they may have to limit the numbers anyway. In respect to the tolls it would be free to residents and services on their day to day business. Taxing hotel rooms and businesses that directly benefit is also being looked at.
The fact remains it has been given a name and the volume of visitors has increased. You cannot put the marketing back in the box. I do agree it was implemented without much thought to facilities; but then again an idea is never a success until it is a success.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
If Skye returns to pre covid levels of tourism they may have to limit the numbers anyway. In respect to the tolls it would be free to residents and services on their day to day business. Taxing hotel rooms and businesses that directly benefit is also being looked at.
The fact remains it has been given a name and the volume of visitors has increased. You cannot put the marketing back in the box. I do agree it was implemented without much thought to facilities; but then again an idea is never a success until it is a success.
"And you can see them there on Sunday morning
Stand up and sing about what it's like up there
They called it paradise, I don't know why
You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye"

Glenn Frey / Don Henley

regards
Bert

codyarrow

Don't personally like The Eagles but they are on the radio occasionally because millions of other people do. Just have to live with it and hope Ken Bruce plays some Thin Lizzy next.

I know what's lost - but what can you suggest to change it back?

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Don't personally like The Eagles but they are on the radio occasionally because millions of other people do. Just have to live with it and hope Ken Bruce plays some Thin Lizzy next.

I know what's lost - but what can you suggest to change it back?
Close the bridge. Permanently.
Rely on ferries once more, self regulating numbers!
regards
Bert

bobmiddlepoint

I don't think people that think about doing the north coast 500 think a whole lot on the toilet situation, maybe the promoters could point it out.

The promoters of the NC500 should have their reproductive organs removed as should their children and grandchildren to snub out the bloodline of at least some of the thoughtless dross that infects the world.

You are correct that most people doing the NC500 won't have thought about the toilets but...
Picture the scene. You are driving through Sutherland, there is not a house in sight and sudden you need a dump. It has happened to all of us out in the sticks at one time or another. So what do you do? You park up and walk well out of sight of the road, well away from any water and if you don't happen to have a spade you move a big rock and bombs away. Roll the rock back on it and leave it to the beetles and worms. Burn your tissue or bury it under the rock.

What do the tourists do? Stop in the first lay by even if it is within sight of the only house in twenty miles, go behind a whin bush and leave it there with the paper as a marker. Or find a nice well maintained path leading to a river, walk down it two yards and crap beside the stile/gate. Thoughtless ****s with no respect for anything or anyone.
If you are a cyclist and you need a piss just stop at the roadside in full view and do it.

T5 and Transit campervans are now banned from the angling club car park below my house now. banned by me because I'm fed up of watching people crap and piss while making my breakfast. They get politely asked to move and if that doesn't work they get told to F off. There is no point messing with these selfish arseholes. 1 million candlepower torches and noisy dogs help drive the point home if need be!

Andy

Scotty Mitchell

The promoters of the NC500 should have their reproductive organs removed as should their children and grandchildren to snub out the bloodline of at least some of the thoughtless dross that infects the world.

You are correct that most people doing the NC500 won't have thought about the toilets but...
Picture the scene. You are driving through Sutherland, there is not a house in sight and sudden you need a dump. It has happened to all of us out in the sticks at one time or another. So what do you do? You park up and walk well out of sight of the road, well away from any water and if you don't happen to have a spade you move a big rock and bombs away. Roll the rock back on it and leave it to the beetles and worms. Burn your tissue or bury it under the rock.

What do the tourists do? Stop in the first lay by even if it is within sight of the only house in twenty miles, go behind a whin bush and leave it there with the paper as a marker. Or find a nice well maintained path leading to a river, walk down it two yards and crap beside the stile/gate. Thoughtless ****s with no respect for anything or anyone.
If you are a cyclist and you need a piss just stop at the roadside in full view and do it.

T5 and Transit campervans are now banned from the angling club car park below my house now. banned by me because I'm fed up of watching people crap and piss while making my breakfast. They get politely asked to move and if that doesn't work they get told to F off. There is no point messing with these selfish arseholes. 1 million candlepower torches and noisy dogs help drive the point home if need be!

Andy
I take my hat off to you for your diplomacy Andy. I wouldn't be able to be polite the first time.
It is my goal to retire to the Highlands, hopefully near Torridon. At this age I am totally intolerant of such moronity, God help them when I am old and properly crabbit 😁

codyarrow

I take my hat off to you for your diplomacy Andy. I wouldn't be able to be polite the first time.
It is my goal to retire to the Highlands, 😁
Better move fast house viewings are up 200% post covid. Iron Maidens 'run to the hills' comes to mind.

Now where shall I park the T5 today?? :whistle:

williegunn

Andy
Andy, you would think they would make your breakfast first, before taking a dump.

shropshire_lad

T5 and Transit campervans are now banned from the angling club car park below my house now. banned by me because I'm fed up of watching people crap and piss while making my breakfast.

Andy
Andy,

I think you need to move to suburban Reading. I have never seen anyone taking a dump or having a piss outside my front window when preparing my Gluten-free. It's just squirrels chattering and birds singing......until Heathrow gets going again of course :(

tingvollr

It is just as bad up here in Shetland. We have to contend with rubbish from every direction on our shores. Plastic bottles with Russian writing, fisherman's waste, waste from fish farms, rubbish left by locals at scenic beaches, locals fly dumping household rubbish in laybyes etc etc. In the springtime in Shetland our local communities get together and clean up most of the accessible beauty spots and roadsides where there is an accumulation of rubbish and take it to the local dump for recycling. A lot of hard work but it does make a difference.

hooferinsane

A small river down the road from me in Kent - you get kingfishers flying up it, egrets plus other wildlife (it's the River Cray). Unfortunately the mindless morons throw all types of rubbish into the river, shopping trolleys etc. A volunteer action group used to clean up the river, but as soon as they had cleaned it, within a week or two it was back to as it was. I think even the group have given up trying now.

We had a tawny owl found dead on a river here it had a spinner and a load of fishing gut attached to it and couldnt get away and had drowned.Along with all the fly tipping along the river and in gateways,dumped in wild areas they need heavily fined or better still jailed.

anzac

We had a tawny owl found dead on a river here it had a spinner and a load of fishing gut attached to it and couldnt get away and had drowned.Along with all the fly tipping along the river and in gateways,dumped in wild areas they need heavily fined or better still jailed.
Fined and given compulsory community service cleaning up roadside rubbish and fly tipping messes. Why goal them at the taxpayers' expense? Make them pay, not us.

dodders

Having read the comments I was on a real downer before my annual trip to the Uists and expecting the worst. Glencoe didn't seem particularly bad.
However, on my return a couple of days ago we travelled through Glencoe about 11pm at night and what a difference !
I was expecting maybe 8 campers, but between the half dozen or so layby's there must have been 80 campervans, and at least the same number of cars clearly staying overnight. A couple of roaring bonfires (burning fenceposts?) Looked like refugee camps you see on the news in other countries
I dread to think what lay on the outskirts of the layby's with each car occupant having a bush dump in the morning! Some may take it away, but not all
Never seen anything like this before. I really hope this is only for this year, but on the journey home I saw literally thousands (not exagerating here) of campervans / mobile homes coming into Scotland. I can't believe there are that many in the country as a whole.

glueman

When I was young my father used to have the car craned onto a cross channel boat, on arriving in France there was bottles and litter all over you knew you had arrived home as it was pristine. Now the complete opposite French road sides are clean,waste bins everywhere, arrive back into the UK and it is filthy