Glomma River Kvennan Camp Site

dave b

Although I was contemplating a trip to Montana later this year I came across this web site and after doing a bit of research it looks to be a very good option. Has anybody been and stayed at the Kvennan Camp site in the cabins and do you have any recommendations regarding food options, when to go and any other info.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

docsalmo

A couple of times.

The campsite is good, cabins are OK (small). You can buy food in the village Tynset. Plenty of shops there.

Fishing is mainly for grayling. Some trout. Pike are also around. Use klinkhammers (big & small), dear hair sedge, ants, glommadog streamers, heavy (red) czech nymphs, rhyacophila nymph and so on. #5 is more than enough.

Consider also a visit to the nearby Lakes of Hodalen.

Tell Hein Van Aar (camping owner and river keeper) what you want to do and he will do what he can. Hein can also arrange for a local guide. Perhaps ask for Ivar Oyan, he was our guide back in 2007.

dave b

Thank you for the above, I assume you need a licence/permit for the lakes?

Bongoch

I fished the Glomma just below Tolga last year, nice bit of water (part of the Kvennan stretch). We weren't staying in the immediate vicinity, was a day trip from from the Trysil where we were staying. As for food get a bank loan, a cucumber in the supermarket in Tolga was about £5, I kid you not!! The only thing not expensive in Norway are fishing permits!

docsalmo

You can get the permits in gas stations and campings. Cheap! When I was at the Hodalen Lakes (2007), you just needed to put an envelop with the money in a box on the parking. Just shows how honest the people are over there (or used to be back in 2007).

docsalmo

Agree with Bongoch. Food can be very expensive in Norway. Just eat the stuff that they don't have to import. Bring alcohols from home.

docsalmo

Yup, even a small pizza (freezer style) is incredibly expensive in the restaurants in nearby village of Tynset. Might wanna bring some strong alcohols with you as well. Buy it in the shops in the airport before you go on the airplane. All drinks that are above 4.75% alcohol are only available in the state-run "Vinmonopolet" liquor stores and it's very expensive.

Latest posts