Gloucester waters

druncle

Hello folks..
Son in law currently posted in gloucester, and his birtday is coming up.
As he already does a bit of fishing, I was thinking of buying him a nice used set of fly gear, going down ( from Darlington), and getting him started. Trouble I'm finding is locating some nearby waters to do it on. Does anyone know of any nearby waters or is it an affordable fly fishing desert?
Cheers John.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
On my way to the monnow Gloucester is a near miss.
Have a look at the waters there ,or chase Tigermoth on this forum he would set you right ,or Tom Rigby also of the forum who is T&S Severn fishing reports man !

arkle

If it's river fishing, take a look at the small streams thread a bit lower down the main page & check out the Berkley syndicate who have several waters dotted around Gl.

For lakes & reservoirs a quick google of trout fishing in Gloucestershire will find you many options, Brook farm, Lechlade, Woolaston Court, Donington etc etc.

bristol fisher

Check out the Wye & Usk Foundation website. Huge variety of fishing available from the main rivers through to the small tributaries for wbt, grayling, through to the migratory fish. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the fishing is very well priced starting from as low as £10.

Gloucester is perfect location as pretty much central to the lower and upper parts of the river.

Added bonus is you are paying money to an organisation that do amazing work and make this great sport accessible to all.

Guest666

Banned
Banned
Have a look at the Little River Avon syndicates for some good stream fishing at a reasonable price. I believe there are a couple of stillwaters but I don't often do that so not best placed to comment on them

druncle

Thanks for all the interesting information... as regards the last question, river/ still water, my feelings are that if he were to take to fly fishing, then initially location/ cost would be deciding factors to begin with. As I posted, I would like to take him out to show him the ropes, so day ticket (free :whistle:) would be good. All the posts have been useful, I couldn't get much from the internet.
Cheers. John

davefish

Witcombe fishes well early season. It's only 3-4 miles from Glos town centre.

If you want an easy start with fish guaranteed go to Donnington Trout Farm. Again it's ok early because the weed will not be there yet. I'ts very small but full of 1-2lb fish.

Woolaston down in the forest of dean is another popular choice. Letchlade and Bushylease are ok but expensive.

Dave