Goldfinch.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
The Goldfinch (Malone version) one of the very few topping winged flies I tie mainly because they're pretty testing to tie as you have to get the topping stems to sit directly on top of one another and they can be prone to movement as you tie in each one consecutively. So there's some stabilising and stuff going on as you go using cellire to keep everything in place (hopefully) and giving a more secure fly. I've seen various versions of this and some using up to ten toppings for the wing which must be fun. The hook (size 6/0) is a fine handmade hook and is based on a hook copied from an old illustration of a Shannon fly so is probably over emphasised and elaborated particularly the barb and point so is more for display purposes. Hook is fully gutted right along the shank with some big old gut I salvaged from a moth eaten Spey fly.

Tag - oval silver tinsel and light blue floss.
Tail - GP topping.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - yellow floss.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel.
Hackle - golden olive cock hackle.
Throat - Jay (Guinea Fowl dyed blue used as is usually the case with larger flies where Jay feathers are not long enough).
Wings - six GP toppings.
Head - Ostrich herl.​

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

arkle

A REAL Stunner, the floss/tinsel work (& wing) are sublime

m r roid

To get such a smooth silk body like that is a work of art. Another stunning fly from Wingman. Keep them coming Mark, your flies are inspirational.

arkle

Mark, did you use D.C's silk gloves, by any chance or just burnish them ?

wingman

Mark, did you use D.C's silk gloves, by any chance or just burnish them ?

No don't use silk gloves John just burnished with a hematite gemstone. I find some coloured flosses worse to work with than others the black floss always seems to catch and break more than other colours so maybe something to do with the dyeing process. I mainly use Danville's four strand which wraps really nicely but started to use Pipers silk floss now also as there's such a variety in their colour palette although a bit slimmer than the Danvilles so takes more wrapping.

m r roid

I've just bought some Pipers silk Mark, I find Danville's frays VERY easily

wingman

I've just bought some Pipers silk Mark, I find Danville's frays VERY easily

Yes it can do Kev, it's just a question of getting used to using it. The Pipers silk is quite soft and I'd say thinner I find and also catches if you're not careful but like I say such a good range of colours. I've never used the more expensive silks like the Japanese silk flosses that also have a good colour range so can't really comment on those as I tend to use cheap and cheerful so to speak. At first I was fraying floss left right and centre but did it less and less as I tied more flies. Then again there's always the silk gloves.:ROFLMAO:

tj hooker

Well we’re do you start with that Mark absolutely stunning I eventually finished my Baron I tied in one topping and it near broke my heart to tie in that many is mad but it’s a stunning looking wing just shows you don’t need lots of different feathers to make such a stunning wing I’ll not be trying that for a fair while

baca157

I see that my comment disappeared during the forum downtime:mad:

A true masterpiece Mark. Tying 6 tippets on top of each other is some skill. I barely managed two on that Black Dog last week. 6 would keep me awake at night.

The point on that hook:eek:

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Well we’re do you start with that Mark absolutely stunning I eventually finished my Baron I tied in one topping and it near broke my heart to tie in that many is mad but it’s a stunning looking wing just shows you don’t need lots of different feathers to make such a stunning wing I’ll not be trying that for a fair while

Thanks Grahame it's not as bad as you think once you get the hang of it. Preparation is key here and if you can take all the toppings off of the same head you get more uniformity. I soaked around 40 toppings overnight of various sizes then laid them flat on top of my scanner which has a nice glassy surface and let them dry. Then I picked out around six crests that got slightly bigger in size from each other and of similar shape. The trick is to use as much of the whole crest as possible, even all of it if you can as the base end of the feather is very flat and less bulky so sits better as you tie it in. I've just tied one using nine crests but on a bigger hook which I'll be posting here sometime. Looking forward to seeing the Baron.

I see that my comment disappeared during the forum downtime:mad:

A true masterpiece Mark. Tying 6 tippets on top of each other is some skill. I barely managed two on that Black Dog last week. 6 would keep me awake at night.

The point on that hook:eek:

Cheers,
Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian just practice like everything else and not as hard as trying to fit a crest to the shape of a married wing. That hook is scary but it makes for a good display hook which is all it'll be used for thank goodness.

arkle

Mark, if you save empty bobbins. you can wind a few mts. of floss onto them with a re-ch. drill & then use them in a b/holder to apply your floss with. You'll need to whip your tying thread off & cut it away whilst winding, obviously, but it can help quite a bit with surform-skin finger tips.

wingman

Mark, if you save empty bobbins. you can wind a few mts. of floss onto them with a re-ch. drill & then use them in a b/holder to apply your floss with. You'll need to whip your tying thread off & cut it away whilst winding, obviously, but it can help quite a bit with surform-skin finger tips.

Beat you to it John I've picked up a few tricks since starting on classics. Although I only do it with the Pipers silks and wrap the Danville's by hand as you're kind of smoothing the floss between your fingers and thumb as you go which gives it an even more glossy texture as it lays flat providing I'm careful enough not to snag it. I'll wrap the tag by hand whether it's Danville's or Pipers as again you get that nice smooth flatness as it lays. Thanks for mentioning it anyway and it's certainly useful for those with rough skin on the hands. ;)

arkle

Mark, I'd sort of guessed you may have tried it. but it was really meant for others reading it as well.

wingman

That is a real beauty. It looks to me to be very feminine with great curves.
Thanks

Pete

Thanks Pete we'll just have to rename this fly the Raquel Welch fly then. ;)

Mark, I'd sort of guessed you may have tried it. but it was really meant for others reading it as well.

I'm sure there's a few up your sleeve I haven't tried yet John but yes always good to mention these things for those who aren't aware of them. I don't think a week goes by when I don't find out a different technique or method of tying these flies and it's like now why didn't I think of that.