Golfers elbow anyone?

matt808

My experience is GP's are worse than useless when it comes to stuff like this. Answer is invariably 'stop doing it then'. I would disregard whatever they told you. They see too many patients which doesn't help. Problem is, if golfers elbow is anything the same as tennis elbow, it won't fix itself if you just rest it.

geenomad

Hi Al
Way back I had both tennis and golfers elbow in my left arm. Left handed caster. Over time I've had my share of traumatic and overuse injuries and niggles. In EVERY case the diagnostic answers and rehab solutions came from physios and NOT from GPs.

Find yourself a good physiotherapist is my emphatic advice.

There may also be a technical casting issue causing or helping to cause your problem but now is not the time to be worried about that.

Cheers
Mark

Cap'n Fishy

Hi Al
Way back I had both tennis and golfers elbow in my left arm. Left handed caster. Over time I've had my share of traumatic and overuse injuries and niggles. In EVERY case the diagnostic answers and rehab solutions came from physios and NOT from GPs.

Find yourself a good physiotherapist is my emphatic advice.

There may also be a technical casting issue causing or helping to cause your problem but now is not the time to be worried about that.

Cheers
Mark
Agreed re physiotherapist. I know some folk who had tennis elbow sorted out by physio. I had a shoulder injury a year or so back that was stopping me from fishing, and I got that sorted out by a local physio.

Col

sightbob

The doctor told me I have golfers elbow?
I'd never heard of it before, tennis elbow I've heard of but not golfers.
Does anyone have it, does it get in the way of casting/fishing in any way?

Al
Two weeks out of three before lockdown was off work with tendonitis both
elbows[carpet fitter to trade] basically repetative strain injuries and a combination
golfers and tennis. it is affecting my forearms and writing is a struggle.
To answer your question yes probs affect fishing. I find wearing a tubegrip bandage
which keeps it warm then a velcro strap tight on forearm helps. The theory is it helps
reduce direct pull on the elbow. Had it off and on for years,rest and cold compress,
anti inflammatorie painkillers.
John

speytime

Thank you John...
I feel I'm wasting my time going to the Dr now so maybe someone can advise me what this other problem is?

I getting a pain from my thumb up inside my forearm, it's only at the top side of my arm as in directly in line with my thumb, if that makes sense?
With that I'm getting a tingly shock like sensation in my index finger.
Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks Al

sightbob

Thank you John...
I feel I'm wasting my time going to the Dr now so maybe someone can advise me what this other problem is?

I getting a pain from my thumb up inside my forearm, it's only at the top side of my arm as in directly in line with my thumb, if that makes sense?

Thanks Al
Sounds like your main nerves in your arm are affected,think theres three of them
look them up it will tell you symptoms if there involved. inflammation in the joint
can cause this.

Cap'n Fishy

Thank you John...

Thanks Al
I had the tingly sensation running down my arm to my thumb as a result of... wait for it... being hit on the head by a cock pheasant! The pheasant impact trapped a nerve in my neck that ran down to my thumb. Needed physio and exercises to free it up over the course of about a year. That was fairly extreme right enough, but sounds like you have some sort of nerve issue going on.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Col I was expecting some medical terms, I can rule that out I've definitely not been hit with any pheasants 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks chaps Al
It was no laughing matter at the time. Stood in the wrong spot to photograph the pheasant shooters and didn't see the one that was hit directly above me. Think of someone dropping a 4 lb oven-ready chicken out a 3rd floor window and it landing on your head. Cars have been written-off by the same thing with one landing on the roof. They have gone through barn roofs. One guy was killed by the same thing!

It knocked me out for a few seconds after the initial hit gave me the Bruce Grobbelaar 'jelly legs' and me staggering off down an embankment and then keeling over into 8 inches of ditchwater! I recovered quickly enough, though it left me with the trapped nerve, which lasted for nearly a year.

Col

speytime

When I was younger I rolled a Honda pilot my wrist manged to slip the wrist restraint and my left arm got thrown out and rolled over multiple times, it was broken dislocated and pretty well mangled, ironically it's my other arm that's giving me grief... yes of course the one I cast with 😞

Al

speytime

Oh I'm no surprised that it hurt that's a lot of weight, I did think when I read your post that must have been a sore one 4lb of bird hitting you unexpectedly on the head, also the length of time to recover tells me that you must have caught a dull one.
However picturing it in my mind creates a comical scene 🐦

Al

mackiia1

Oh I'm no surprised that it hurt that's a lot of weight, I did think when I read your post that must have been a sore one 4lb of bird hitting you unexpectedly on the head, also the length of time to recover tells me that you must have caught a dull one.
However picturing it in my mind creates a comical scene 🐦

Al
The Headline - ' Man seeing stars after encounter with Large Cock'.
Sorry Col :LOL:

4wings

I unloader a huge delivery of plywood at a Handimans yard and ended up with tennis elbow.
It was treated with a Cortisone injection which was even more painful!
Recommended to a physiotherapist ex Bristol football club)who gave advice and gentle exercise.
It was almost a year before it was fully recovered. Apparently all soft tissue injuries take time.

easker1

I have had elbow problems since the min 60's when I used to shoot Hand loads in My 357 Revolver I can't press with my right hand, and any knocks to my elbow are painful, but with casting I'm OK as long as I don't twist my elbow during casting, easker1

glueman

Years ago whilst shooting Canada geese on of our group was hit in the chest with a goose that had been shot and was aiming at him. Knocked him to the floor where he remained for a while recovering

speytime

'iPhone Elbow' is a thing, buggers up the neck, thumb and elbow all in one go
You could have something there, i use my phone 99% of the time and my thumb doea all the typing, when I reach across the keypad it hurts from my thumb up into my forearm 👍

Al

JayP

You could have something there, i use my phone 99% of the time and my thumb doea all the typing, when I reach across the keypad it hurts from my thumb up into my forearm 👍

Al
My physio has been dealing with the side effects of mobile phone use for the last 10 years, his demographic is younger than it ever has been

william henry

I can't think of anything in particular that could have caused it, over the last 6 weeks I've noticed it sore in my bed at night/early mornings.

Al
The fix is rest , rest , rest . You may also look into arm braces and do your own physio .There are lots of useful videos on Youtube to assist you .

Uncas

For those finding it painful or hard to cast, perhaps using a trout spey rod in a size 11'4 x 4wt or a 11' x 4/5 switch rod might help.