Good reel for 11ft nymphmaniac rod?

Prolifichare

Update on my Guideline Halo. Nice looking reel but I've now had two that have failed. Both after less than a days fishing. Both with the same thing, it feels like the gears have stripped inside the spindle mechanism. Very disappointed with a £200 reel lasting a matter of hours. There is also a small silicone O-ring on the spool bolt that has broken on both reels and the other one they had in the shop. Obviously a design fault and possibly where water is then getting into the mechanism, although I don't think the two are related as it's packed with grease, so I think just rubbish parts. Anyone else has got a Halo reel or heard of problems? Now were in tier 4 it'll have to wait till John Norris is open again before I can get refund.

Prolifichare

Just had a look at the Hardy and the Hanak reels (online). They both look to have exactly the same spindle/drag system as each other and as the Halo. I'm lead to believe this is just a Chinese system possibly manufactured by Maxcatch. In its self not surprising or worrying, except when I've just had both these Halo's fail. I won't be buying another which uses this style of spindle.

Mrtrout

Just had a look at the Hardy and the Hanak reels (online). They both look to have exactly the same spindle/drag system as each other and as the Halo. I'm lead to believe this is just a Chinese system possibly manufactured by Maxcatch. In its self not surprising or worrying, except when I've just had both these Halo's fail. I won't be buying another which uses this style of spindle.
The Hardy Ultraclick doesn’t have a drag as such Roger, just a click system, or were you talking about another Hardy?
fair covering of snow here mate, are we still going?
S.

Prolifichare

Yeah so the Hardy Ultradisc looks the same mechanism. The click is something different again. Looks like quite a robust design. But I still think too light for a nymphing set up.

kingf000

Yeah so the Hardy Ultradisc looks the same mechanism. The click is something different again. Looks like quite a robust design. But I still think too light for a nymphing set up.
Once again I put the point that for nymphing you need as light a set up as possible. Balancing the rod with the reel is wrong for nymphing where the majority of the time you are holding the rod at arms length. The 2018 trident comparison for nymphing fly rods shows that, to balance eg. the Sage 10'6" 3wt ESN rod you need a reel and line that weighs 6 oz. At the extreme the Redington Hydrogen 11ft 3wt requires a reel of nearly 11 oz! The longer the rod, the heavier the reel needed to balance it. So whatever reel you choose you are going to compromise on balance, it just depends how far away from balance you are prepared to go. I think even the most ardent sceptics would accept that the lightest set up at arms length is a rod without a reel. Just try it by holding out the rod at arms length, then compare that with the rod plus a 4.5 oz reel, eg the Hardy ultradisc plus line. You'll find the addition of any reel makes the set up feel far less light. Imagine now that a lighter reel would be a half way house, heavier than just the rod, but lighter than the rod + 4.5oz reel + line.

Teme fisher

I've been looking at nymphing reels too. With a full cage as one of the main musts it narrows the list down quite a lot. I'm lead to believe balance is more important than lightweight, so you may want to work out what weight reel is required to balance your rod.

Reels on my list:
Vision nymphmaniac
Hardy ultraclick
Danielsson original
Echo shadow click
Guideline Halo (this is the one I'm going for)
Scierra traxion

I'm sure there are other full cage reels, hopefully someone else might add to the list.

I realise that the Scierra is not as ££ as some of the options on this list but are there any budget full cage fly reels?

q4fario

Loads of great reels above but for me the most important thing is to balance the rod weight with the reel, particularly when Czech nymphing. Worth trying various reels on the rods to establish the right reel weight before purchasing

running bear

I realise that the Scierra is not as ££ as some of the options on this list but are there any budget full cage fly reels?
Buy a used reel of ebay, from the era where most reels were full cage. Lots of BFR/leeda made, including system two's that fit the requirement. The lower end of the hardy reels avaialble would suit too.

IF i know i'm on a long walk and may be euronymphing as well as a traditional fly line with dries and perhaps a light trad nymph i use a dragonfly cartridge 355, cost 25 quid with FIVE spare spools and looks like it was never used. Spools take little room in the vest, and tbh i never meet amyone that far from the car to show off my reel jewelery too amyway.

dave b

If you can find a discounted or second hand Hardy Ultralite FWDD they are great reels. The 4000 or 5000 would be my choice for an 11ft rod.