Good tackle/equipment for older men

Cass2711

Hi,

My dad has fished Trout and Salmon for over 50 years. He lives for the sport. But, as he's got older, he's developed the aches and pains we all expect. He has diabetes, a bad shoulder, and poor leg circulation (to name a few problems)

Anyway, this father's Day, I wanted to try and get him a gift which would make the casting/standing/wading/catching of it all a lot easier on his body, so he can keep doing what he loves for years to come!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate if you could post here and help and old timer's daughter keep him on the water!

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Cass, welcome to the forum.
My first thought is of a back support belt. Though you don't mention lumbar pains it's an issue many fly fishermen suffer from.
If the shoulder is due to arthritis you might try a tube of Flexiseq. I was recommended it by a fellow sufferer for my hip and it does seem to have had a positive effect within a week.
A final idea would be to book him a few sessions with a qualified Swedish masseur. Massage can help with circulatory problems and may help relieve his shoulder and other muscular pains.

If you have a bigger budget then maybe a lighter fly rod would alleviate some of the stresses of casting, but to advise there we'd need to know what rod(s) he uses now, where he fishes and for what species.

Good luck in your search for the ideal gift!

easker1

Claud Mundle wrote his book on salmon fishing at a time when his 16ft salmon rod was almost destroying his shoulder, his wife bought him a 12ft graphite rod this revolutionised his salmon fishing and allowed him to carry on for many more years, just a thought, easker1

ohanzee

I'd second the massage, for me sports massage, bout £40 for an hour, you get a full MOT check, any ailments looked at, aches and pains vanished, and you walk out feeling 20 years younger.

anzac

Claud Mundle wrote his book on salmon fishing at a time when his 16ft salmon rod was almost destroying his shoulder, his wife bought him a 12ft graphite rod this revolutionised his salmon fishing and allowed him to carry on for many more years, just a thought, easker1
I'll second the idea of lighter, more up to date kit might be an option. See what he is using now and consider going down in length and weight. Yes, there will be some compromise associated with it, but does that really matter in the long run?

ohanzee

It's tricky because anyone that has fished that long will have most things(and probably a whole lot more) they need, this takes careful questioning to get right.

Does he have a wading stick?

And one that takes a bit of research, is there a water he has never fished or fishes rarely due to ticket price? a day ticket is potentially the gift of somewhere new to try.

Does he tie his own flies? that opens up a whole load of stuff, or..if not you have struck gold...get someone to tie up a small box of his favourite flies, you can't beat opening a selection of really well made flies and there are guys on here that can do that to match any budget.

roger h 10

Hi, Cass, welcome to the forum.
My first thought is of a back support belt. Though you don't mention lumbar pains it's an issue many fly fishermen suffer from.
If the shoulder is due to arthritis you might try a tube of Flexiseq. I was recommended it by a fellow sufferer for my hip and it does seem to have had a positive effect within a week.
A final idea would be to book him a few sessions with a qualified Swedish masseur. Massage can help with circulatory problems and may help relieve his shoulder and other muscular pains.

If you have a bigger budget then maybe a lighter fly rod would alleviate some of the stresses of casting, but to advise there we'd need to know what rod(s) he uses now, where he fishes and for what species.

Good luck in your search for the ideal gift!
All of the above but also a session with a qualified instructor may help. I have similar problems to your Dad so whilst attending our local BFCC meeting last Sunday I was shown a slightly different way to cast which should help with my back problems.
If you look at the BFCC website you'll be able to see if they've got any meetings in your area,these sessions are a real bargain and your Father will learn a lot and have a very enjoyable day with a great crowd of people.

JCP

Might consider a trout spey/switch rod set up.A lot less stress on old joints.Knowing where your dad mainly fishes would give a better idea.

Best JP

Paul_B

When it comes to fishing I find it better to ask, all my elder brother told his family that he'd like a lightweight small stool and a small flask for Christmas and was very happy when he got them.

4wings

I heartily agree with the physio/massage posts.
I had problems with my neck and shoulder and as a last resort spoke to my GP. There followed another telephone conversation with a Physio and some print out exercises, I have improved my neck and shoulder and no longer stoop, it has knocked 10 years off me.