Goodies

scoobyscott

Picked up some materials after work to tie some bugs/ nymphs. Does anyone know how to use tungsten sheet I thought it would be sticky backed like lead foil but it's not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgold

Cut the tungsten sheet into strips with some old scissors, tie it on with thread, wind on and cover over with thread before tying the pattern on top of it..that is if it is like the rubbery lead stuff that I had back in the day. Not sure it will be pure tungsten as that will not wrap being quite brittle..

arkle

That tungs. sheet is rubber impregnated with dust & is not very user friendly when it comes to tying it in, as almost any tight-ish thread wraps will slice straight though it, so forget about trying to wind it as well. You can layer it, but it needs to be coated with u.v. resin before trying to cover it with any other material. It cuts very easily with a scalpel & steel ruler on a hard surface. Would strongly recommend using a thread like UTC 140 with it's very flat section.

fredaevans

That tungs. sheet is rubber impregnated with dust & is not very user friendly when it comes to tying it in, as almost any tight-ish thread wraps will slice straight though it, so forget about trying to wind it as well. You can layer it, but it needs to be coated with u.v. resin before trying to cover it with any other material. It cuts very easily with a scalpel & steel ruler on a hard surface. Would strongly recommend using a thread like UTC 140 with it's very flat section.
Understatement for the day; toss this stuff and just get a few spools of different sized lead wire. Trust me on this one! A 'smooth body' done with wire is simple. Tie on and several coats of thick head cement will give you what you want.

fae

scoobyscott

Well I didn't find it too hard too work with tbh. Just sliced a strip, tie it in then wind on a few wraps before catching if in with thread and wrapping over it. I used uni 6/0 and it was fine. Can actually get a smooth underbody due to the stretch in it. Here's my efforts nothing new but hopefully will do the damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts