Goosander

jaybeegee

No river fishing possible again today, so I had a walk which included a few miles of canal towpath. Along a stretch of about half a mile I saw no less than four pairs of goosander and a solitary female which was chased away by the drakes when she approached them. I’ve not seen the species on the canal before, though there is a good head of coarse fish for them to go at, and unlike those on our club water they seemed relatively unfazed by the presence of humans. I assume they have come from the nearby River Aire, which is a foaming torrent today...again.
B

Cap'n Fishy

No river fishing possible again today, so I had a walk which included a few miles of canal towpath. Along a stretch of about half a mile I saw no less than four pairs of goosander and a solitary female which was chased away by the drakes when she approached them. I’ve not seen the species on the canal before, though there is a good head of coarse fish for them to go at, and unlike those on our club water they seemed relatively unfazed by the presence of humans. I assume they have come from the nearby River Aire, which is a foaming torrent today...again.
B

They wise-up pretty quickly when it comes to human proximity. Any time I run into them going down a river well away from the town, they are very skittish. However, in the town, where folk feed the ducks, they realise they have nothing to be afraid of, and they soon join in. I have fed them by chucking them suet pellets. Well, a few suet pellets means one less fish needs to be eaten! And they are just as happy on ponds as on rivers, so canals will no doubt be fine as well.

These were on the Water of Leith, in the heart of the city...

Goosanders10Jan16_6873.jpg

Goosanders10Jan16_6851.jpg

Goosanders10Jan16_6821.jpg

Female goosanders always remind me of Judy Murray! :D

Col

jaybeegee

Lovely pics Cap’n. If those I saw today stick around to breed, their ducklings will be at risk from the big resident pike that patrol that stretch of canal.
B