Got new rod, new reel advice sought

Spider

Evening all, finally got my hands on my new Guideline 9.5ft 2 wt rod. The waggle test is impressive, and the rod is so light. Haven't bought a rod in a few years so I'm well pleased.

But I think I'm going to need a lighter reel. My old Vosselor is brilliantly engineered but it's heavy enough, to be fair.

So I'd ideally like a lightweight, well engineered reel, without too much ratchety noise going on. I don't care if it has drag, and a spare spool would be useful if I want to change from my 2wt silk line, to a pure French leader set up, although I usually just fish silk with a very long leader, and use it for French nymphing. So the spare spool would help, but it's not vital

I'd rather not spend a packet....

Any suggestions? Cheers...

Rhithrogena

One of the Hardy diecast tribe built by British Fly Reels (of Rimfly fame) would work well for this. Viscount 130 - 150 mk
ii. Probably the 3 1/4" model. Simple drag but adjustable through a sensible range with that nice Hardy purr. £35-45 on thE Bay.
Rich

Whinging pom

I use two wieght silk too.
There’s lots of deals on guideline reels at the moment , lightweight and really large arbours which is great with your silk line. I love my guideline the build quality is fabulous
Not seen one in my hand but like the look of vision hero for the same reasons

Spider

Thanks, the rod is the LPs. Really taken with it, so light. Bought it to give me a bit more accuracy on dries, whilst allowing me to still use the French nymph technique. Incidentally, it's a downlocking reel seat.

Thought.... Daniellson Midge? I have a Daniellson Nymph, so I might just get a spare spool or two...

b13rux

I have the 2wt LPS and love it, although i mostly use it for nymphing myself. cracking rod for the money and as you say very light.

As Rich says the hardy's are light as they are magnesium and a good bargains to be found on ebay. If your not bothered about drag and want a LA reel, Amazon UK have the Redington zero for around £70 which are very well rated reels and very light, the only thing I'm a bit unsure of is how 'ratchety' they are as I haven't heard one, and it can be quite a subjective thing the sound of a reel.

Spider

B1, have to say I hate the ratchety reels. The Redington zero is a bit noisy I think.

There is another reel with spools sold with it but I can't remember the name?

beetlebum

If you mean the Lamson liquid then I really like it, I don't use it for this purpose though so I'm unsure if it would be what you're looking for. I'd go with Danielson like you mentioned, very light, well made and no clicking drag.

kingf000

If you are on a budget I can recommend the Wychwood R&S reel. Very light. Angling Direct have 1 left of the 4/5 which would still be OK for you for £48.75, cheaper than the spare spool!

mackiia1

John - have a look at Piscari Fly website - some nice reels there at reasonable cost.
Or if you want to treat yourself get the Danielsson F3W.

Spider

Just to clarify, I'm happy with a click etc, just not a loud crackle. The Voss is very subtle and well engineered.

Hardrar

One of the Hardy diecast tribe built by British Fly Reels (of Rimfly fame) would work well for this. Viscount 130 - 150 mk
ii. Probably the 3 1/4" model. Simple drag but adjustable through a sensible range with that nice Hardy purr. £35-45 on thE Bay.
Rich
Loop or Daniellson original Nymph model for a two weight - light - fast retrieve - last for ever and look ace.
Hardy Marksman are nice too and light, I have a Scierra hubless txl #2/4 reel too that’s light

q4fario

I use Sage Click reels on my light rods. They are large arbour and superlight so balance lighter rods really well. Superb quality also

stevel

Just to clarify, I'm happy with a click etc, just not a loud crackle. The Voss is very subtle and well engineered.
How about the VR Reels Trutta 3"? It's a click but the click is more of a tinkle. The Alu version is very reasonable.

Latest posts