Got out today

jerryrum

I'm lucky enough to have a local still water that I can fish with the fly.

I am able to cycle there on a quiet route and I've never seen another fisherman bankside (though there is evidence of carp men having been). So I took advantage of the relaxed lock down rules to get a couple of hours fishing in.

The venue is an ex-quarry with crystal clear water:
sc1.PNG

I don't know the water well, but other than a few Carp I've only seen small Rudd in here. That was perfect for what I wanted to achieve today.

I set up with a kink and dink duo, but with a gray wollf. Both size 16.

Despite a few splashes at the dry fly everything came to the hares ear nymph
sc2.PNG

I lost the original nymph on a sunken branch, but actually caught more when I tied on one of my own nymphs. Size 14, hares ear style dubbing (but no gold band), with copper bead head.

The largest one of the day was probably this:
sc3.PNG

But I had a lot like it in two short hours, and it just felt good to be out casting a line again.

stay safe

Jerry

Shangerlad

very nice, i went out 7pm was hoping to do a write up.But just as i was getting the swing of it,the park ranger sent us home, can only fish 8am to 8pm! i didn't catch, fished a gold head ghre. still,my castings improved only my third session.Sorry i've hijacked your thread slightly! But when fishing hares ear nymph in a lake,do you keep them on the move or cast them out and let them rest? to day i tried different speed, jerky and smooth. just i noticed on a trout lake last year some of them seemed hardly casting,which didn't fit in with my pe-concieved idea of fly fishing.
all the best
Shangerlad

jerryrum

I always fish a very slow retrieve, just enough to keep the line tight.

That way you can strike (more like slight wrist lift) at any interruption to the smooth retrieve.

Using klink and dink means its less likely to be weed as it keeps the nymph of the bottom.

Shangerlad

Thanks,had to google klink and dink. Once my casting better,i'll try it, probably get tangles at the moment, i find after a while i loose my rythm and leader starts to land in a pile. still,big improvement yesterday.

PaulD

Oxide...Oxide...{eyes gone all dreamy)... new owners moved it to china!!!

I lived in Potterspury and occasionally used to fish at Kingfisher. I've now moved a million miles away . . . Pury End, just the other side of Paulerspury!