Grayling fishing in Lancashire??

LoomisNRX

Good morning,

I am looking for some new venues to fish for Grayling in the winter months. I am a bit bored of bashing the rainbow stockies and fancy something different. I am based near Chorley, and want to don the waders and try my had at grayling fishing.. Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Regards

Dan

sewinbasher

There are grayling in both the Ribble and Hodder. There may be some day ticket water available but others on this forum will know better. Also, the Welsh Dee is not too far away and it has some of the best grayling fishing in Europe.

Lunesman

Good morning,

I am looking for some new venues to fish for Grayling in the winter months. I am a bit bored of bashing the rainbow stockies and fancy something different. I am based near Chorley, and want to don the waders and try my had at grayling fishing.. Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Regards

Dan

You could give the Aspinall Arms Hotel a call, they control some water around Mitton. 01254-826223
Regards Lunesman

LoomisNRX

Cheers guys, very helpful. Does anyone know who controlls the ribble at "de tabley", its full of chub apparently?? Good sport on the fly i should imagine.

chewy

As you cross the brige the stretch to your right is owned by a farmer whos farm is abou 3/4 mile along the track just after the bridge.I think he charges about £5 per day.I'm not sure but I presume it's Ribchester Anglers to the left of the bridge .

moustique

Cheers guys, very helpful. Does anyone know who controlls the ribble at "de tabley", its full of chub apparently?? Good sport on the fly i should imagine.

As you cross the brige the stretch to your right is owned by a farmer whos farm is abou 3/4 mile along the track just after the bridge.I think he charges about £5 per day.I'm not sure but I presume it's Ribchester Anglers to the left of the bridge .

If i'm correct in the bridge you are refering to is where the B6245 crosses the river, then it's Prince Albert AA pretty much both banks downstream to Ribchester, and then Ribchester & District on the right hand bank with PAAS opposite in some areas. Looking upstream from the bridge, Warrington Anglers controls a length of water at Hurst Green, they have an open membership and it doesn't cost a lot to join?

http://http://www.warrington-anglers.org.uk/Membership/tabid/1064/Default.aspx

With regards grayling fishing, the area around the junction with the Hodder & Ribble at Mitton is available on dayticket, it's controlled by the EA, and tickets are available at the Hotel up the road. PAAS also control a lot of water in that area.

Further upsteam at Settle, day tickets are available from the Royal Oak Inn, they used to cost £15?

Nearly all other water on the Ribble and Hodder are club controlled, have a long waiting list and in some cases are extremely expensive, another option may be the Eden?

:)

Last edited:

guest70

GM is correct.....and PAA no longer issue day tickets for their grayling fishing either. A better best would be to book in for a day on Eden Lacy, a bit further downstream.

moustique

Wow, that's a big increase!

I'll cross that off my list of places to fish!

I hope some of you guys didn't misunderstand my above post? I didn't say day tickets were available via PAAS, nor RADAC, (their waters are all members only and there is a long waiting list for membership), I was just highlighting which stretches of water PAAS and RADAC control, and as it's members only; hence my comments / suggestion about Warrington Anglers.

Best fishes for the New Year!

guest70

Wow, that's a big increase!

I'll cross that off my list of places to fish!

I hope some of you guys didn't misunderstand my above post? I didn't say day tickets were available via PAAS, nor RADAC, (their waters are all members only and there is a long waiting list for membership), I was just highlighting which stretches of water PAAS and RADAC control, and as it's members only; hence my comments / suggestion about Warrington Anglers.

I don't know what you think, but as far as I'm concerned, the Settle AA water is just nowhere near the necessary quality to justify charging £25 a throw.....

sedgeking

illegitimacy

Hi edenangler:D

I don't know what you think, but as far as I'm concerned, the Settle AA water is just nowhere near the necessary quality to justify charging £25 a throw

Its called 'marketing' for the "We don't really want you" market.....quite legitimate way of keeping fishing pressure down....and why SAA only allow membership to residents.;).......I don't have a problem with that.(where's my tin hat:eek:)

moustique

I don't know what you think, but as far as I'm concerned, the Settle AA water is just nowhere near the necessary quality to justify charging £25 a throw.....

Hi Matt,

I've never fished it, but it is expensive, especially when compared to some of the day ticket waters on the Eden or Welsh Dee. But then compare it to the cost of day tickets on some of the southern chalk streams, etc?

Its called 'marketing' for the "We don't really want you" market.....quite legitimate way of keeping fishing pressure down....and why SAA only allow membership to residents.;).......I don't have a problem with that.(where's my tin hat:eek:)

Hi Sedgking,

It is a good way to keep pressure off the water, but if that is the clubs real objective then they sholud simply do away with day tickets completely. :D

With regards to the club only allowing membership to residents, that's their choice, (and they aren't the only club to do so), but it is a little unfair and self-centred. If every club took the same attitude then river anglers would soon get fed up with only being able to fish in their local water.

Not aiming anything at your tin hat Sedgeking, but I'm sure that you fish other waters apart from the Ribble at Settle, and you are grateful that you can do so? :D

guest70

You know I heard a rumour (and it is just a rumour), that the Settle club is also quite hefty on the subscription fee. They obviously rate their water quite highly....

M

Last edited:

moustique

Here's an option in direct contrast in having to be a resident, - you have to live at least 40 miles away - now that definatley would keep the pressure of the water. :D

http://www.manchester-anglers.org.uk/index.html

I did get info wih regards membership fees a year or so ago and they are also pricey.

royvs

Here's an option in direct contrast in having to be a resident, - you have to live at least 40 miles away - now that definatley would keep the pressure of the water. :D

I have heard that the Haughton Club has a similar rule for the same reason.

sedgeking

In or Out

Happpy new year everyone:D(1st post 2009)

Hi moustique:D
It is a good way to keep pressure off the water, but if that is the clubs real objective then they sholud simply do away with day tickets completely.

My original post was a little "devil's advocate"....and I actually agree with you...BUT....its an issue that crops up often for me, in reality....leases often have and amenity or public access clause....and the answer is....price into the market... or out of it.

I start by pointing out I have no direct involvement with SAA, and its not a defence, merely a justification from a management perspective.
I believe its Major Yorke(apologies if incorrect....its the principle that matters) who has a lot the rights on the river so ultimately he gets his pound of flesh from his tenants:rolleyes:. So by mathematics if you limit your membership to 10 people and have lease expense of 10k then each member has to stump up 1k each.....hence the question "do we make it 20 members?" etc. So SAA decided to have a larger fee with lesser numbers AND price out of the day ticket market.
For all the stick they get ....you have to admire PAAS in some ways:rolleyes:

As an ideal I'd like to roll out 'Haddonism' (Trademark applied for:D) and tag on proper keepers wages running the river FOR the river.......but that's a whole new thread (unless I get taken to task for a wanton remark:p) about INCREASING fees....sometimes you have to look further than the trees:eek:

guest70

Happpy new year everyone:D(1st post 2009)

Hi moustique:D

My original post was a little "devil's advocate"....and I actually agree with you...BUT....its an issue that crops up often for me, in reality....leases often have and amenity or public access clause....and the answer is....price into the market... or out of it.

I start by pointing out I have no direct involvement with SAA, and its not a defence, merely a justification from a management perspective.
I believe its Major Yorke(apologies if incorrect....its the principle that matters) who has a lot the rights on the river so ultimately he gets his pound of flesh from his tenants:rolleyes:. So by mathematics if you limit your membership to 10 people and have lease expense of 10k then each member has to stump up 1k each.....hence the question "do we make it 20 members?" etc. So SAA decided to have a larger fee with lesser numbers AND price out of the day ticket market.
For all the stick they get ....you have to admire PAAS in some ways:rolleyes:

As an ideal I'd like to roll out 'Haddonism' (Trademark applied for:D) and tag on proper keepers wages running the river FOR the river.......but that's a whole new thread (unless I get taken to task for a wanton remark:p) about INCREASING fees....sometimes you have to look further than the trees:eek:

The club of which I am a member does employ 3 keepers - who all do a terrific job I might add - and the upshot of that is that our subscriptions might be considered by to be on the high side. But I don't know a single member who would forsake the keepers in order to lower the subs......and the fees are higher if you join the salmon section:eek:

I think you've got a good point there Sedgeking.....

M

sedgeking

Apathy!.....at what price

I thank you for your validation of my post:cool:

I know we've moved somewhat off the spirit of the original post.....but thought just maybe ;)

Latest posts