Greased Leaders

paul100

Looking for some advise on the above

Firstly do most do this and if yes what do you use to grease them ? I've been reading about watching the end of the line for takes something I have been very rarely doing but I'm told fishing this way will being me more fish so I'm going to give it a go - just need to understand what exactly you do and are looking for ? I've also read that a white floating line is best in terms of visibility but my mine are Courtland peach ? Is white necessary ?

Thanks

Paul

steve collyer

I use red mucilin and grease only the first half dozen feet of the leader from the end of the fly line.
I also sometimes apply a blob of grease to the water knot about 3 or 4 feet from the fly as I can use this as a purists strike indicator on flat calm days when using a lightweight buzzer.

I've used all sorts of coloured lines and it does depend on personal preference, the conditions and level of visibility.
White or hi-viz orange are the best to spot takes for me.

Takes often show as an unexpected slight downward dip of the end of the fly line. However, they can also show as a pronounced stab or a slow drawing-away of the end of the fly line under water.
Often when you're retrieving and there's no slack or bow in the line, you'll feel the take before you see it.

JayP

If you're watching your fly line by adding 2 cm stripes with a black permanent marker every 6cm or so makes it a lot easier to spot takes, about 40cm from the leader join down is enough

paul100

Thanks Steve I've got the red mucilin so will give that a try when out next. I've always just relied on the feel but have read many times fishing this way will not catch all the fish that take.
Thanks Steve

speytime

If you can't see the end of a peach courtland on a river marking isn't going to help you 😂..
imo the white isn't necessary peach is equally as visible.
Watch the tip/leader for any unusual movement left/right or stops etc, if/when it moves/stops lift, it's not always a fish you could be in the bottom or a branch but sometimes you lift and it pulls back 😁
I think to answer your questions about greasing the leader we need to know what flies dry or wet and river or stillwater?

Last edited:

JayP

If you can't see the end of a peach courtland on a river marking isn't going to help you 😂..
imo the white isn't necessary peach is equally as visible.
Watch the tip/leader for any unusual movement left/right or stops etc, if/when it moves/stops lift, it's not always a fish you could be in the bottom or a branch but sometimes you lift and it pulls back 😁
I think to answer your questions about greasing the leader we need to know what flies dry or wet and river or stillwater?
You don't get to see the sun in Scotland do you 😂😂😂 when there's a lot of glare on the water the stripes really help (y)

webblade

Yea
You don't get to see the sun in Scotland do you 😂😂😂 when there's a lot of glare on the water the stripes really help (y)
Yeah the stripes are a massive help when theres glare on the water. Unless theres just something wrong with my eyes 🤔