Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great fish photos when Solo fishing ????

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  streamerjunkie 
#1 ·
I'm a pretty good photographe4, but this ones got me scratching my head what are your techniques /accesories for getting great live fish photos when fishing solo I don't mean just the fish in net picture but really mixing it up.

#2 ·
Get a mini-tripod and check if your phone has voice-commands in selfie-mode. I manage to snap some alright grip-and-gurns this way:
Glasses Cloud Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses

This one from the Frome a couple of weekends back - propped my phone on the bank and commanded it to take a photo - set to three seconds self-timer so there's time to lift the fish from the water, snap the shot and then put it back into the net pre-release.
If you're wondering about using an actual camera rather than a phone then it would become more convoluted, but largely with the same ideas - self-timer and tripod!

I've also been playing around recently with my phone that is 100% waterproof...this is awesome when releasing fish - below is a screenshot from a video of the same fish pictured above after it swam off (taken on my Samsung Galaxy S10+ (lower-res as it's a screengrab from a video):
Water Fin Underwater Fish Salmon-like fish

Definitely worth exploring, but please make sure your phone is actually claiming to be submersible before/if you do try it!

Tom

Attachments

#3 ·
Get a mini-tripod and check if your phone has voice-commands in selfie-mode. I manage to snap some alright grip-and-gurns this way:
View attachment 20678
This one from the Frome a couple of weekends back - propped my phone on the bank and commanded it to take a photo - set to three seconds self-timer so there's time to lift the fish from the water, snap the shot and then put it back into the net pre-release.
If you're wondering about using an actual camera rather than a phone then it would become more convoluted, but largely with the same ideas - self-timer and tripod!

I've also been playing around recently with my phone that is 100% waterproof...this is awesome when releasing fish - below is a screenshot from a video of the same fish pictured above after it swam off (taken on my Samsung Galaxy S10+ (lower-res as it's a screengrab from a video):
View attachment 20679
Definitely worth exploring, but please make sure your phone is actually claiming to be submersible before/if you do try it!

Tom
Next time I hear some yelling "Hey Siri, take me" I won't feel so embarrassed!

#5 · (Edited)
Bloody hell, you kids have seriously got your heads around this technology sh*t.
I'm a dinosaur struggling with a **** second hand waterproof camera, time to rethink me thinks !
Great photos, I'm drop dead jealous and a little bit peaved in a purely envious but motevational way !

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody hell, you kids have seriously got your heads around this technology sh*t.
I'm a dinosaur struggling with a **** second hand waterproof camera, time to rethink me thinks !
Great photos, I'm drop dead jealous and a little bit peaved in a purely envious but motevational way !

Sorry bout the echo, technology, lol, wtf do I know bout dat, gimme stuff I can play with in my hands, like your Dad :eek:mg:

#11 ·
Flip it to self-shot mode and you can see yourself! Then on mine (Samsung Galaxy S10+) I just have to say 'shoot' or 'capture' and it starts a three second self-timer before it takes the shot :thumbs:

#7 ·
I reckon anything after the fish is landed (apart from 'in the net' photos, which you are ruling out) is putting extra stress on the fish, so...

When I am alone, I try to catch a shot before I have landed the fish. Just to pick a few 'for example' shots, going into my Lake of Menteith collection...

I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to these shots in being a left-hander, so my rod is in my left hand and, as the fish nears the net, I can pick up the camera, which, as all cameras are, is designed to be used right-handed... and catch a snap as the fish approaches the net.

Col

#10 ·
The Olympus Tuff series take polarising filters that make for good pics. Wireless and the app mean remote shutter release is a nice feature to use. Also a collapsible walking stick with a camera mount thread on the top doubles as a wading stick and camera tripod - we’ll stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.