Fly Fishing Forum banner

Green Highlander

937 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Wee Jimmy 
#1 ·
I haven't posted here for a bit. Recently I started tying classic style flies. Today I attempted the Green Highlander.
To date these are number 6 and 7 classic flies. The smaller one is stripped back a bit due to its size.
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Wing Pest
Arthropod Insect Pollinator Organism Beetle

See less See more
#2 ·
For flies that early in your salmon repetoire, you're doing great. Obviously as you get more done, read experienced things will be less "challenging" & there are several of us here to help you along the way, Anything you are not sure about or want info on, "we have the technology" !

#4 ·
Well done Sean. Glad to see another person having a go at these beautiful flies. As John said, there are plenty people here who will help you improve. I will leave the detailed critique to most experienced tyers than me. My only comments would be to tie Teal, Woodduck and JC longer next time. Teal and Woodduck should reach up to 2/3 of the main wing and JC to about half way. Also, add a GP topping next time. Green Highlander looks a bit bare without it.

How did you tie the throat?

Cheers,
Sebastian

#5 ·
Nice to see you back again seanie and good to see you having a go at tying classic salmon flies and for first attempts these are very good. You've gone in at the deep end with the Green Highlander which aint no easy fly to tie but I understand the temptation as that is one of the first flies that many of us new to classics seem to be drawn to. I really like the low flat tails which is more in keeping with the earlier flies. The Partridge CS6 is a good hook to start with and at around about a size 3/0, you can pick them up for about £!2 for a pack of ten. If you're interested in developing your skills I have some files including SBS's and other useful info which I can email you so just pm me if you're interested. The main thing is you have all the components on the fly and you know how the process goes so it's just a question of fine tuning the techniques using good quality materials if you can although not highest quality as you'll waste stuff to start with due to trial and error especially winging materials but as you progress the wastage will decrease.

#6 ·
×lovely job Sean it’s no mean feat just getting it all lashed on a hook you’ve all the skills you need and you’ll soon see major improvements I definitely recommend you take Mark up on his kind offer of information I did and it really helped not only on individual patterns but on process as well I still use it now and again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.