Greetings from Wiltshire

pbrown

Hello,

Now life has quietened down time to get out my old Lochmor and Rimfly, surprisingly after 20 years they're still in excellent condition, only a few manky flies to replace and a new line.

Due to the current situation I've been unable to find any casting tuition which I'm certainly going to need, hopefully that'll be available locally soon.

Previously I fished Lechlade however I'm going to give Manningford a go this Friday on one of their season tickets, so despite how badly I fish if I blank nothing lost. :D

Paul

:)

webblade

Greetings friend and welcome. I say just get out and cast while you're waiting to find an instructor. No such thing as bad practice the least we can do is find out how not to do it. Plenty of tutorial videos on YouTube some very good ones to get you started. I wish you luck on Friday 👍

pbrown

Had an excellent few hours, thoroughly enjoyed it. Found a quiet shaded area, so no one me could see my efforts. :rolleyes: Concentrated on roll casting, made some progress and where I was the fish were swimming around only a rod length or two out.

Eventually a little one succumbed. :D

IMG_26062020_183138_(540_x_405_pixel).jpg

Can't wait for the next visit.

webblade

Had an excellent few hours, thoroughly enjoyed it. Found a quiet shaded area, so no one me could see my efforts. :rolleyes: Concentrated on roll casting, made some progress and where I was the fish were swimming around only a rod length or two out.

Eventually a little one succumbed. :D

View attachment 28096

Can't wait for the next visit.
Wow, Nice fish lad well done. What did you get him on?

mrnotherone

Nice to see another "moonraker" on the Forum. Not many of us but we all count!
I'd not heard of 'moonraker' so had to look it up. If my ancestors saw a reflection of the moon on a pond and tried to rake it out, I'm not sure I'd own up to that ! 😁

pbrown

What did you get him on?
A small Pheasant Tail Nymph. (y)

A few thoughts from the day.

Nothing wrong with the old rod and reel, perfectly adequate for my level of ability.

The Airflow Forge line I purchased wasn't great, despite stretching I couldn't get the memory out of it, going in the bin to be replaced with a Cortland 444.

Polarised lenses good and bad, good I can see the fish, bad I can see them under my rod tip ignoring me.

Sharpes net, lightweight and robust, impressed.

GEK79

Hello,

Now life has quietened down time to get out my old Lochmor and Rimfly, surprisingly after 20 years they're still in excellent condition, only a few manky flies to replace and a new line.

Due to the current situation I've been unable to find any casting tuition which I'm certainly going to need, hopefully that'll be available locally soon.

Previously I fished Lechlade however I'm going to give Manningford a go this Friday on one of their season tickets, so despite how badly I fish if I blank nothing lost. :D

Paul

:)
Hello Paul welcome and I hope tour day yesterday went well you'll find lots of experience and advice here and people generally will answer questions.. Good lick stay safe..
Gary

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Nothing wrong with the old rod and reel, perfectly adequate for my level of ability.

The Airflow Forge line I purchased wasn't great, despite stretching I couldn't get the memory out of it, going in the bin to be replaced with a Cortland 444.

Polarised lenses good and bad, good I can see the fish, bad I can see them under my rod tip ignoring me.

Paul, if you haven’t bought the Cortland yet, have a look at Barrio lines. He’s got some of the best lines you can get at about half the price of the equivalent competition! Mike also gives great customer service and if you’re not sure which one to get it’s worth phoning him.

webblade

Pheasant Tail, my favourite fly by far. If I could fish one fly I would fish a size 16 Pheasant Tail nymph all season long. If there's anything I've learned this past season it is how my catch rate goes up when I fish smaller nymphs. Turn over rocks in any of my rivers in Ireland and the only time I ever see anything bigger than a 16 is maybe a few caddis. I removed all size 12s from my nymph box apart from my caddis nymphs. All you see in my box is 18 16 14 and my fishing has seen a major benefit of not reaching for the biggest thing in there. The only downside is I lose the odd bigger fish on the smaller hook. Someone point me towards a decent wide gape hook barbless if possible but I can crimp the barb otherwise. Good to see you enjoying getting back into it pbrown. Keep it up buddy.

GEK79

Pheasant Tail, my favourite fly by far. If I could fish one fly I would fish a size 16 Pheasant Tail nymph all season long. If there's anything I've learned this past season it is how my catch rate goes up when I fish smaller nymphs. Turn over rocks in any of my rivers in Ireland and the only time I ever see anything bigger than a 16 is maybe a few caddis. I removed all size 12s from my nymph box apart from my caddis nymphs. All you see in my box is 18 16 14 and my fishing has seen a major benefit of not reaching for the biggest thing in there. The only downside is I lose the odd bigger fish on the smaller hook. Someone point me towards a decent wide gape hook barbless if possible but I can crimp the barb otherwise. Good to see you enjoying getting back into it pbrown. Keep it up buddy.
Would you have many choices of river in kikdarw mate all I know of it is the Village sadly nothing more.

webblade

Yeah the village seems to have put us in the map 😀. I'm in the town so I have the river Liffey 10 minutes away in Newbridge and 10 minutes the opposite direction I have the river Slate in Rathangan. The Slate is a fantastic little river with good size trout I've had some to around 3lbs and the record for the river is a 7½lb trout. Yearly membership is only 10 euro. The liffey on the other hand is a tough river though sometimes you leave feeling defeated. Sometimes no matter what you try it just doesn't produce results. Lovely river though.
Would you have many choices of river in kikdarw mate all I know of it is the Village sadly nothing more.

pbrown

Paul, if you haven’t bought the Cortland yet, have a look at Barrio lines. He’s got some of the best lines you can get at about half the price of the equivalent competition! Mike also gives great customer service and if you’re not sure which one to get it’s worth phoning him.

Thanks for the heads up @iainmortimer

I was struggling to find the 444 I wanted in stock anywhere, did some research on Barrio and as a result ordered a Mallard line and a couple of other bits from them. (y)

iainmortimer

For barbless I use Hends hooks which have decent wire. Have a look at the BL454. Its sold as a dry fly hook but being medium wire works well for nymphs if you want that wide gape.