Grey's cassette

h49

Thinking about buying a new cassette reel. I like the new Grey's QRS as it is rated for two size spools, 5/6 line and 7/8 line which I think is a good idea.

I also like the Snowbee Spectre cassette, the 5/6 one. I think you can also put a 7w line on this spool.

A novice, so would really appreciate any advice or opinion on which is the better reel.

Thanks

Horace

morayfisher

I've got an Airflo Classic Cassette reel. #5/6
Comes with four spools in total and I've been happy with it over the last eighteen months or so.
£49-45 so reasonable value I think.

dartmoor navigator

Thinking about buying a new cassette reel. I like the new Grey's QRS as it is rated for two size spools, 5/6 line and 7/8 line which I think is a good idea.

I also like the Snowbee Spectre cassette, the 5/6 one. I think you can also put a 7w line on this spool.

A novice, so would really appreciate any advice or opinion on which is the better reel.

Thanks

Horace

The QRS comes with four spools - two of each size - they are physically different. It’s fine and does a job, there’s a securing catch to lock the cassette in place. It’s quite a pretty reel and has a click in both directions. The spectre looks nice but I haven’t used one... but if you want to use a 7 wt then why buy a 5/6? At least the Greys reel has an appropriate depth of spool for each size.

skajtrout

The Greys QRS is a brilliant idea, surprised no-one's done it before. Four line sizes covered with one reel and the spools are a tenner, get in.

dave b

Have the Greys GTS700 and the Spectre. The Snowbee is in a different league. IMO it's one of the best cassette reels on the market. It's a very refined reel, very smooth and with a superb drag. Spools are £8 will take 5-7# + 20 lb backing.

dartmoor navigator

Thanks

Horace

Horace,

If you decide on the QRS and if you are predominately using 5/6 and only occasional 7/8 I’ll happily swap a 5/6 for a 7/8 cassette :thumbs:

Waltyluft

Have the Greys GTS700 and the Spectre. The Snowbee is in a different league. IMO it's one of the best cassette reels on the market. It's a very refined reel, very smooth and with a superb drag. Spools are £8 will take 5-7# + 20 lb backing.

Seconded. When I was looking for a cassette reel last year I narrowed it down to the Hardy ASR and the Snowbee Spectre.
On a more detailed look, the Snowbee won hands down. Great build quality, no play on spool at all, great drag and much lighter (and cheaper) than the Hardy. A superb reel.
I have the 5/6 model and have #7 and #8 lines on the spools.

I've had two earlier models of Greys Cassette reels and while they were OK, they weren't a patch on the Snowbee for build quality and......well.....niceness!
I moved them on whereas the Spectres will be keepers.

Last edited:

h49

Many thanks to all...for taking the time to share your opinions and information, a great help towards making a decision. Very much appreciated.

Horace