Greys fly lines.... any good

Just the buzzer

Hello All,

I have never used Greys fly lines but was wondering what the forum members think about them , I’m almost sure one of the guys used to use a greys platinum fly line but don’t think he was overly impressed with it.

Any thoughts ??

Scotty Mitchell

Hello All,

I have never used Greys fly lines but was wondering what the forum members think about them , I’m almost sure one of the guys used to use a greys platinum fly line but don’t think he was overly impressed with it.

Any thoughts ??

Greys Heron grey lines are superb. Don’t know about the newer Platinum Shoot.

original cormorant

I've never used a Greys line, the quality will be fine, its a question of if you like the taper. If they're still made in the UK they'll be made by Northern Sports - see fake lines thread.

b1scuits

i've been using a platinum shoot WF5F recently, casts nicely etc. only thing is the tip does tend to sink a bit after a while

running bear

I’ve a few GRXI and platinum traditional Spey lines, some are a fair age and are still supple, shoot well, and still float! I do clean and dress fairly often, no more than three days full fishing between treatments.
They have a feel in common with many other lines, such as the older Shakespeare lines (Glider and Worcestershire) and Hardy lines. Probably made in the same factory? Anyway, they have a familiar feel, and are made for fishing rather than just casting.

Paul_B

I bought the platinum off them least year when I bought the GR50, decent enough but I'm using a very old wychwood one at the moment and I'm happy with that.
However I'm using a maxcatch windcheater on my Greys X-Flite and I'm more than happy with that (y)