Greys QRS Fly reel

Gdog

I'm considering buying a new cassette reel, the QRS is in my budget. It's reasonably light compared to the other Greys and Airflo reels which are too heavy for the 6 weight rods I use.

Does anyone on the forum own a Greys QRS fly reel? Before buying I'm looking for some information from people that own this reel, not a list of other cassette reel options, thanks.

What is the build quality of the reel?
Is it a robust reel, will the frame take every day knocks without deforming?
Are the cassettes easy to remove?
Any problems removing the cassettes, do the cassettes deform or break easily when removing from the reel? This is an issue with some other cassette reels.
Does the reel have any other issues?

Positive feedback appreciated too.

Wee Jimmy

I'm considering buying a new cassette reel, the QRS is in my budget. It's reasonably light compared to the other Greys and Airflo reels which are too heavy for the 6 weight rods I use.

Does anyone on the forum own a Greys QRS fly reel? Before buying I'm looking for some information from people that own this reel, not a list of other cassette reel options, thanks.

Any problems removing the cassettes, do the cassettes deform or break easily when removing from the reel? This is an issue with some other cassette reels.

I would say it would pass all your concerns with flying colours...the one slight issue I have with mine is the amount of play between the cage and the spool.

fruinfisher

I like mine. Changing spools when it was new was a bit of a pain lining it up with the correct position. After marking them with a sharpie solves that problem.

Gdog

I would say it would pass all your concerns with flying colours...the one slight issue I have with mine is the amount of play between the cage and the spool.
Thanks for letting me know Jimmy. Is this between the aluminium spool that holds the cassette and the other part of the aluminium frame, or is it between the polycarbonate cassette and aluminium spool that holds the cassette. Lots of cassette reels have wee problems.

Wee Jimmy

Thanks for letting me know Jimmy. Is this between the aluminium spool that holds the cassette and the other part of the aluminium frame, or is it between the polycarbonate cassette and aluminium spool that holds the cassette. Lots of cassette reels have wee problems.
The cassette is held onto the spool frame very securely ,in fact there is a wee locking switch to hold it in place but they fit together so well I don't think it even needs it. The slack I'm talking about is between the spool and the outer cage so it allows for a bit of sideways movement .You will notice it when reeling in.

The Endrick Spider

I purchased one of these reels 3 years ago but due to illness and then shielding did not fish for two years (2019 & 2020). I have not used it that often for I have found that it has a most annoying problem but it is not mechanical. (well annoying for me anyway) Before starting to fish and after fishing I have a habit of hooking my tail fly on one of the rings up the rod and then looping the cast over the rim of the reel. When doing this with this reel the cast finds its way inside the spool containing the fly line and can be quite annoying at times trying to get it back out. I much prefer my old reels from the 1960's that are as still as good today as they were then.

Gdog

The cassette is held onto the spool frame very securely ,in fact there is a wee locking switch to hold it in place but they fit together so well I don't think it even needs it. The slack I'm talking about is between the spool and the outer cage so it allows for a bit of sideways movement .You will notice it when reeling in.
OK. Now I understand, This happens on 2 small fly reels I own a Greys G Tec 310 4/5 and a Snowbee GEO 3/4. it's not really a problem. Thanks for the feedback.

Gdog

I purchased one of these reels 3 years ago but due to illness and then shielding did not fish for two years (2019 & 2020). I have not used it that often for I have found that it has a most annoying problem but it is not mechanical. (well annoying for me anyway) Before starting to fish and after fishing I have a habit of hooking my tail fly on one of the rings up the rod and then looping the cast over the rim of the reel. When doing this with this reel the cast finds its way inside the spool containing the fly line and can be quite annoying at times trying to get it back out. I much prefer my old reels from the 1960's that are as still as good today as they were then.
This aligns with Jimmy's advice, there seems to be a gap between the cage and spool.

pentlandflyman

Very good reels and Garry Evans has them for £74 just now. Heard some folk moaning about spools sticking but I've never had an issue.

skajtrout

You’re best off looping the line round the rel foot instead.

Skaj

GEK79

Not sure what these are like but a bargain at this price..I'd buy one of you.. 👍👍😜

Gdog

Not sure what these are like but a bargain at this price..I'd buy one of you.. 👍👍😜
Thanks Gary, but I pushed the button and bought a Greys QRS yesterday. The GX500 is quite a good reel and lighter than lots of other cassette fly reels.

GEK79

Thanks Gary, but I pushed the button and bought a Greys QRS yesterday. The GX500 is quite a good reel and lighter than lots of other cassette fly reels.
May mention to wife for Christmas. 😜😜

Latest posts