Griffiths Gnat & Renegade dry flies or not

rabmax

Dry flies that work just as good or better bellow the surface.The Griffiths Gnat & the Renegade are two.I have kind of been neglecting the brilliant Griffiths Gnat for years.But finally managed to buy some midge saddles a while back.So easy now tying small gnats with the midge saddles.Seems a bit strange but both flies are deadly fished as wet flies i find.Split shot or a few with tungsten beads they catch well.20200412_143522.jpg20200412_115723.jpg

wobbly face

It's the krystal flash Rab. I tied a parachute dry using a few strands of krystal for the hackle post. It got sucked under by water turbulence and a trout went for it, I missed that one. I went on to catch 3 browns with letting it sink. It still caught as a dry.

rabmax

It's the krystal flash Rab. I tied a parachute dry using a few strands of krystal for the hackle post. It got sucked under by water turbulence and a trout went for it, I missed that one. I went on to catch 3 browns with letting it sink. It still caught as a dry.
Not really the crystal flash.I don't usually use crystal flash.The original Renegade is gold tinsel at the rear.I do various hot orange"chartreuse 'gold & crystal flash.Probably chartreuse is the best producer over all. The renegade is my best grayling fly especially when small 18-22.Theres a similar pattern called a grey ugly similar to a Griffiths Gnat has worked great for me in the past also.Fran Betters snowshoe usual is another one i find deadly when you fish it wet.Not sure what they take a Griffiths Gnat for bellow the surface. But it's small & dark & has peacock herl.

alibongo

Anything with peacock herl is good and combined with black, deadly.
Beetles maybe but peacock herl makes flies look alive.

Ali

rabmax

I do find the Renegade shines in slightly off colour water after rain.Think this is maybe as the white hackle is very visible to fish.Maybe something similar to the white biots on a Prince Nymph.I find a white weenie or white mop fly deadly in off colour water too.

wjg

I do agree that the Renegade fishes well dry and retrieved wet. Have never seen a Renegade with a tail before. I occasionally tie Griffiths Gnats with an antron or similar tail and call that a trailing shuck. I find those fish better dry drifted.

A much older gentleman I meet occasionally on the streams ties and successfully fishes only one fly. The Renegade. He calls it The Orangutan and I have too much respect for his quiet, determined strength to correct him.

rabmax

Yes it should be gold tinsel round the bend.It catches so well that the tinsel gets shreded fast.I use various gold crystal flash' glo-brite hot orange or chartreuse floss tags/tailProbably the best producer is chartreuse.Also like having some with silver tungsten beads.Dead drifted swung or stripped & can all work.Have fished a pattern before called a Grey Ugly.Similar to a Griffiths Gnat that works good too.A double badger is a good dry fly.Never tried it but imagine it would work well as a wet too.