Griffiths gnat

Retropgav76

Just a quick question on the Griffiths gnat, I fish a smallish Stillwater and looking at the returns book this fly has good success how would you fish it please?

Wee Jimmy

As Scotty says....👍

It’s an excellent general terrestrial pattern,particularly beetles.Ive found it very useful during a caenis hatch too.Clipping the hackles flush with the underside or pulling them all up on top of the body when you gink it can help with the leader twisting issues it often has.

senegals

Retropgav76
looking at your location I am guessing you are fishing Marton.

I use tapered leader 9ft ending in tippet ring add another 6ft tippet. Size 16 Griffiths seems to work best. Sometimes they want it static so just let it drift in the breeze, othertimes the occasional 6inch pull will bring the fish up. There are a fair number of rudd in Dons and St Marys which seem to home in on a moving Griffiths not such a problem on Woodside.

I fish Marton couple of times a week and since the end of lockdown have caught 90% on Griffiths, F-Fly and Shipmans are my backups again Size 16

Keep degreasing your tippet it makes a vast difference to getting takes

Regards
Bob

Retropgav76

Retropgav76
looking at your location I am guessing you are fishing Marton.

I use tapered leader 9ft ending in tippet ring add another 6ft tippet. Size 16 Griffiths seems to work best. Sometimes they want it static so just let it drift in the breeze, othertimes the occasional 6inch pull will bring the fish up. There are a fair number of rudd in Dons and St Marys which seem to home in on a moving Griffiths not such a problem on Woodside.

I fish Marton couple of times a week and since the end of lockdown have caught 90% on Griffiths, F-Fly and Shipmans are my backups again Size 16

Keep degreasing your tippet it makes a vast difference to getting takes

Regards
Bob
Thanks for the advice Bob I will give it a go next time over at Marton

kingf000

If you tie your own, Barry Ord-Clarke's pattern for the 'para-loop Griffith's Gnat' is quite easy to tie, looks very good, is easy to see on the water and works very well.
OtC
Just tied this and it looks good. Keen to give it a go next time I'm out. Another favourite fly of mine is a parachute adams, so I'm trying a paraloop adams using the body material as the post. I'll probably make 2 kinds, with the loop along the body and with a smaller loop close to the head, as both have been made. I put a drop of uv epoxy onto the post to strengthen it and it still seems to pull over and tighten OK.

PaulD

The Griffiths Gnat is a pattern tied to suggest a cluster of midges and it is remarkably effective and consistent. I generally fish it in sizes 18 and or 20 with a 6X tippet

kingf000

The Griffiths Gnat is a pattern tied to suggest a cluster of midges and it is remarkably effective and consistent. I generally fish it in sizes 18 and or 20 with a 6X tippet
I think in larger sizes it can also represent small beetles?

PaulD

Maybe. It was first tied by George Griffiths in the USA, in 1936 to represent tiny midges (gnats) and to present to fish 'dimpling on the surface, his favourite size was 16.

To all intents and purposes it looks like a mini Woolly Bugger and tied in larger sizes it could represent a host of creatures.

BobP

I used a GG in Austria several years ago during a blizzard of BWO to catch a lot of grayling out of a fast, deep pool. I could clearly see them taking the naturals off the surface, but facing downstream when they did so. Having seen that it was a simple matter of casting from above and using a parachute reach cast to drop the fly upstream of the selected target, line it up so the fly drifted straight over the fish and pop goes the weasel.

A GG looks nothing like a BWO, but it was the right size and in the right place at the right time. I subsequently re-visited Charles Ritz, "A Fly Fisher's Life" and saw that he had had the same sort of experience of grayling coming up from deep water and facing downstream when they took the fly.

Clydebuilt

As mentioned above, I like to clip the underneath so it hangs in the surface film, generally static covering rising fish, or a very slow figure of eight with long pauses

I also like to use various coloured hackles and body materials in the griffiths "style" to represent beetles for example and also tie in a sighter post on some variations.

Lovely simple but effective pattern

IMAG6290.jpg

IMAG6280_1.jpg

IMAG6282.jpg