Grunters and hackle length

kenyanscott

Hi guys

I’m going to start tying grunters and I’m A bit sure on the hackle length.

I know the normal rule or thumb is as wide as the gape of the hook.
But I’m also aware that for grunters they are meant to sit high as as such you can use longer hackles.

Can anyone offer me some advice on this?

Cap'n Fishy

Hi guys

I’m going to start tying grunters and I’m A bit sure on the hackle length.

I know the normal rule or thumb is as wide as the gape of the hook.
But I’m also aware that for grunters they are meant to sit high as as such you can use longer hackles.

Can anyone offer me some advice on this?
I'm new to grunters myself, but from what I can make out, the idea is to get the arse end to sit down and into the water, a la Klinkhamer, and have the hackle form a 'skirt', out over the surface film, with the CDC plumes sticking up above the surface.

If that is so, then the width of the skirt of hackle is up to you - can be short or long. However, if you go with what I have seen as the basic recipe of: a cock hackle and a partridge hackle then, as partridge hackles are mostly similar in length, that will dictate to some extent the general length. Yes?

Col

kenyanscott

Ah that makes sense.

iwasnt aiming to have crazy sizes on the hackles but my partridge hackles are of a decent size and I wanted to make sure it is balanced.
I’m still working the best way to get the partridge tied in first then the hackle covering.

tne ones your have all look cracking!! Some great tying there

Cap'n Fishy

I’m still working the best way to get the partridge tied in first then the hackle covering.
The order I have been doing them is:

1) Prepare the tag, then varnish and set-aside.
2) Tie in the CDC and trim the stubs at a slope
3) Dub on the hare's ear body and rib with wire, leaving a gap between the front of the body and the CDC
4) Wind in the cock hackle, into the gap
5) Tie in the partridge hackle by the tip and keep the thread forwards towards the head
6) Wind in the first turn of partridge between the CDC and the cock hackle, then take the second turn of partridge in front of the CDC and secure the stalk
7) Whip finish

Col

kenyanscott

That’s incredibly helpful. I was running the partridge first then the hackle so I think this recommendation will Help in terms of how they look. I’ll get some tied. Over the next couple of days and then post some picks for some constructive feedback!

Cap'n Fishy

Here a video of Davie Mc Phail tying one
I watched that before I tied my first ones - to give me an idea of what was involved. I thought I had been copying it, but on rewatching it just now, I see Davie is winding the partridge through the cock hackle, while I am putting the cock in front of the body and then the partridge in front of the cock. I only get 2 turns out of my partridge hackles, so I think I will stick to my method. However, I think I can improve things by tying in the partridge hackle tip immediately after the CDC.

Davie is leaving a much bigger gap between body and CDC for the hackle bed than I have been doing. He is spreading his turns out, while I am keeping mine quite condensed.

I had this wild brownie on Glencorse Res yesterday on a grunter tied exactly to Davie's pattern in the video...

It's no monster, but it's about as big as the wild brownies on Glencorse get! 😜

First fish I have photographed against a background of social-distancing tape! 🤪

Col