GSP tying thread.

Mrtrout

I’m after some of this in white 50 denier, everywhere I look it’s approximately £3.50 plus.
postage is also £3.70 for one 75 metre spool?
i don’t really want to import it as the postal costs are silly, so if anyone can advise me where I can pick up about 300 metres of it reasonably I’d be grateful.
S.

jimmcl

Funky fly tying used to do it, not sure now but they're worth a try. I love the stuff, impossible to break and you can tie REALLY tight with it.

Mrtrout

Funky fly tying used to do it, not sure now but they're worth a try. I love the stuff, impossible to break and you can tie REALLY tight with it.
Still £3.50 for 75 metres Jim plus postage, never understood why this stuff is so expensive?
hey ho it looks like I’ll have to get a bulk spool from Germany.
S.

arkle

Jim, it maybe a case of "supply & demand" To buy the stuff at trade price(s) is far more expensive than everyday nylon/polyester/whatever & the potential market for it is much smaller. Our wonderful Post Office dictates that anything ove 5mm thick "justifies" (in their eye's, as yet another way of ripping us off) the prices we are forced to pay

Last edited:

pentlandflyman

The stuff has it's good and bad points.

It cuts through materials and slips on the shank of the hook so finished flies can spin, i give the first few inches a wax and that helps it grip so stops the spinning problem. You need a ceramic bobbin holder and a scalpel cuts it better than scissors. The dyed stuff from semperfli is awful and the dye comes off and gunks up your bobbin tube like chewing gum, i stopped buying the dyed stuff years ago so don't know if they fixed that issue. do a double whip finish as it is slippy stuff and they can come loose.

You get virtually no build up, you can tie really tight and it splits really easy, the 18/0 stuff is almost invisible but super strong so excellent on small patterns, it takes colour from markers really well.

Essential fly did a bulk spool but it was crazy money at approx £30 i think, a 50m spool lasts a very long time as you don't use anywhere near as much as you would when tying with standard thread.