Guideline Elevation

pipsull

I snapped up one of these in the sale at John Norris recently and have only really had a good look at it today.

The rod sections aren’t smooth, but instead have a constant ridge so that if you run a fingernail down the length you can feel and hear as you go over each one.

Also, there are no connection marker guides for fitting the sections together, so you have to peer down the length of the rod to make sure the eyes line up, which I remember having to do “in the old days” but less so recently.... :)

The reel section of the rod has no hook keeper, so lining that section up you’re relying on the reel being connected to be sure it’s all properly lined up as the manufacturer intended.

I’m interested if that’s the normal finish for all the Elevations or if perhaps I’ve got one that got missed in the quality checks...?

I’ve only checked it in the house so far, it’s still raining here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keef68

I’ve got one arriving on Monday from John Norris - 9’ 5wt.
I haven’t seen one “in the flesh” before, but I understand it’s an eco-friendly production process, which might explain the finish.

Does the rod still look ok? I understand they’re super light, which attracted me too it on the first place, along with some positive reviews.

How’s the free Guideline Reach reel that comes with it?

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipsull

Hi Keith, yes, other than that everything looks fine, all the eyes are smooth and secure, and it really is light!

Haven’t had a chance to fling line with the reel yet, but the drag is good and I like the quiet ‘click’.

My gripe with the reel is that if you want to change the cassette you have to unscrew the knob on the winder side (opposite the drag knob), there’s no quick release catch like on other reels.

Pippa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keef68

Thanks Pippa

Good to hear!

Most reels without plastic interchangeable spools don’t actually have a quick release spool. I imagine I’ll be quite happy just with a floater on the 5wt.

Please do report back when you’ve tried the rod out - I’d be interested in your review.

Cheers

Keith

original cormorant

I snapped up one of these in the sale at John Norris recently and have only really had a good look at it today.

The rod sections aren’t smooth, but instead have a constant ridge so that if you run a fingernail down the length you can feel and hear as you go over each one.

Also, there are no connection marker guides for fitting the sections together, so you have to peer down the length of the rod to make sure the eyes line up, which I remember having to do “in the old days” but less so recently.... :)

The reel section of the rod has no hook keeper, so lining that section up you’re relying on the reel being connected to be sure it’s all properly lined up as the manufacturer intended.

I’m interested if that’s the normal finish for all the Elevations or if perhaps I’ve got one that got missed in the quality checks...?
It sounds as though the blanks are unsanded which is a normal finish - I had a David Norwich and a T&T that were both unsanded.
The lack of a hook keeper is also a design choice - I think all T&T rods are like that. What use is a hook keeper if your leader is longer than the rod? Also they provide another potential point to catch when clearing line with fast sw species.
Alignment markers are useful. Personally when assembling a rod I mount the reel on the handle section, then assemble the top sections then join the top to the handle - that way your not waving the rod around when mounting the reel.

GEK79

Thanks Pippa

Good to hear!

Most reels without plastic interchangeable spools don’t actually have a quick release spool. I imagine I’ll be quite happy just with a floater on the 5wt.

Please do report back when you’ve tried the rod out - I’d be interested in your review.

Cheers

Keith

I had messaged John norris about the Elevation deal but I'd asked them to include the favo reel instead they did message me back and they could do it with an 28 quid excess but before they messaged I'd bought a lightweight set up..

daddypuss

bought one of these rods this week from uttings,well pleased on my first outing and my rod has the hook keeper fitted. bit disappointed that it`s not got the marker dots but apart from that it suits me.

keef68

bought one of these rods this week from uttings,well pleased on my first outing and my rod has the hook keeper fitted. bit disappointed that it`s not got the marker dots but apart from that it suits me.
Which one did you get mate?

Cheers

Keith

roger h 10

This is the standard finish on the Elevation,it is all part of the 'GREEN' manufacturing process, very few Scandinavian rods have keeper rings these days.
The reel is normal these days,again very few have a release catch.

daddypuss are you sure that it's the Elevation that you've got as Uttings haven't had any since before the lockdown,also they don't make any Elevation's in 9'6" they did however make the Elevate in 9'6" which Uttings have been selling off. I don't know why they have used 2 very similar names as it can only cause confusion.

champyron

I bought the 9' #7 elevation and Reach reel from Norris. I have used it twice. It does not have the hook keeper or alignment marks but I don't find that a problem. It is well finished with good cork. The matt black blank does have texture as part of the manufacturing process. It is amazingly light but powerful enough to make the most of my average casting with a #7 line. It has a progressive bend through to the butt when playing fish. The eco credentials are a bonus and show that Guideline are forward looking.
Although the Reach reel is cast rather than CNC, the tolerances are very close with no play and a very smooth drag.
They look good and I have enjoyed using them.

daddypuss

I bought the 9' #7 elevation and Reach reel from Norris. I have used it twice. It does not have the hook keeper or alignment marks but I don't find that a problem. It is well finished with good cork. The matt black blank does have texture as part of the manufacturing process. It is amazingly light but powerful enough to make the most of my average casting with a #7 line. It has a progressive bend through to the butt when playing fish. The eco credentials are a bonus and show that Guideline are forward looking.
Although the Reach reel is cast rather than CNC, the tolerances are very close with no play and a very smooth drag.
They look good and I have enjoyed using them.

champyron

A further point of note. The Tech specs for the 9'#7 have a rec. head weight of 17-19 grams. I realised this is the head weight rather than the AFTM weight of the first 30 ft however I did email Guideline for further clarity. They replied immediately that any of their #7 (12 grams @ 30 ft) lines would be suitable. I used a Snowbee #7 and it was well matched. I also think it has the power to handle a #8

roger h 10

I’ve got one arriving on Monday from John Norris - 9’ 5wt.
I haven’t seen one “in the flesh” before, but I understand it’s an eco-friendly production process, which might explain the finish.

Does the rod still look ok? I understand they’re super light, which attracted me too it on the first place, along with some positive reviews.

How’s the free Guideline Reach reel that comes with it?

Cheers

Keith

I,ve got a 9'0" #5 as well. Lovely light rod that is a pleasure to use. I am very pleased with mine and am surprised at how well it casts compared to my other 9'0" #5's which were far more expensive, Hardy Zephrus,Vision Onki,Vision Sisu ,not only is it lighter but will outcast them all.

roger h 10

Sorry senior moment, mine is a elevate but as I said well happy with it.
We all have those I'm afraid. Guideline haven't presented this very well, not only do the rods have very similar names but they also appear to have used the same rod description, must admit that it took me a while to work out that they are two very different rods.

BTW John Norris have got new stocks of all models except the 9'9" #8.

keef68

I,ve got a 9'0" #5 as well. Lovely light rod that is a pleasure to use. I am very pleased with mine and am surprised at how well it casts compared to my other 9'0" #5's which were far more expensive, Hardy Zephrus,Vision Onki,Vision Sisu ,not only is it lighter but will outcast them all.
That’s good to hear Roger . I have a Sage Z-Axis in 9’ 5wt, and from what I’ve read this rod is lighter than even the most current Sage 5wt rods. For the money and for the fact it even includes a free reel, I’m willing to give it a go. Another lockdown treat...

Cheers

Keith

roger h 10

A further point of note. The Tech specs for the 9'#7 have a rec. head weight of 17-19 grams. I realised this is the head weight rather than the AFTM weight of the first 30 ft however I did email Guideline for further clarity. They replied immediately that any of their #7 (12 grams @ 30 ft) lines would be suitable. I used a Snowbee #7 and it was well matched. I also think it has the power to handle a #8
A lot of manufacturers ,especially the Scandinavian's, seem to be marking their rods and lines with suitable weights rather than AFTM ratings. Now that I have got used to it I actually find it easier and more accurate. The Guideline Elite lines work really well on these rods as does the Vision Vibe 85+.