Guidesnblanks blanks

Teme fisher

Guidesnblanks have some nano helix fly rod blanks listed on their site.
Does anyone have a view on their performance or provenance please? Thanks.

(I'm currently building a coarse rod and if all goes well might have a go at a fly rod. My warped logic is that it would be a good way to use up half a pot of £10 epoxy glue + varnish by spending many multiples of that on a fly rod blank. I'm also tempted by the Nextackle offerings on ebay but think/hope that the guidesnblanks selection will be better quality)

Lewis Chessman

My warped logic is that it would be a good way to use up half a pot of £10 epoxy glue + varnish by spending many multiples of that on a fly rod blank.
I can't help with the G&B blanks but find your logic impeccable. I salute you, Sir.

Have a look at Taniwha's site on Etsy. Mark has a nice range of differing blanks at good prices and offers excellent advice and service.
There are a few threads here already on Next blanks which might be worth searching for.
It may help if you say what length & line rating you're considering.
Cheers.

Teme fisher

It was a 10ft wt2 nano helix blank at £84 that I had in mind.

Nextackle offer a similar length and weight blank but my reading of the comments here imply that the blank is a touch heavy. I have a maxcatch performance 10ft 2wt and if I'm going to spend money would like to get a higher quality blank. I'll have a look at the Taniwha offerings.

dougieb

I like Mark's nano helix blanks, I've built on his 9' 5wt and 9' 6wts - Mark is great to deal with. He did do a Nano Helix 10' 2wt but that has been discontinued. I do suspect that the G&B Nano Helix blanks are from the same factory, when I enquired about the butt diameter and weight of their 10' 2wt it matched those of Taniwhas 10' 2wt

Teme fisher

I went for the guidesnblanks 10ft 2wt unbranded nano helix and am pleased with how it performs. I fitted a Lemke downlocking reel seat with cork insert and single leg guides from Taniwha.
It feels very responsive in comparison to a Maxcatch performance 10ft 2wt, is noticeably lighter (my scales aren't suitable to do a weight comparison) and playing fish up to 1lb has been enjoyable.

b13rux

many thanks for the update, i want to build a custom tightlining rod this winter and whilst a few options are still on the table i am leaning towards a Bloke XL50 Czech 10' 3# but the Nano helix was a consideration also.