Gye net replacement

original cormorant

I want to replace the net on an old gye net, but I can't get the ends of the hoop out of the block. I've removed the locking grub screw but the hoop simply will not budge.
Any suggestions? Or do I simply cut off the old net and "sew" the replacement net on with a bit of suitable string.

Rob Edmunds

Spray the block - frame with WD40, then soak a rag in the WD40 and wrap round the block and net frame, cover with a plastic bag and leave for 3 days.

Then pour a kettle of boiling water on the block, put the frame in a vice and give it a good pull, it should come free.

There may be a much better way, I'm not really the subtle type

pati

Spray the block - frame with WD40, then soak a rag in the WD40 and wrap round the block and net frame, cover with a plastic bag and leave for 3 days.

Then pour a kettle of boiling water on the block, put the frame in a vice and give it a good pull, it should come free.

There may be a much better way, I'm not really the subtle type

No-nonsense brutalist approach, I love it!!!!

original cormorant

Let is know what works
Will do in due course - part of the problem is that the hoop acts as a spring so it's difficult to be brutal to it. I'd previously tried heat without success, it's the WD40 I'm trusting to make a difference.

stevel

One spray which the classic guys have been using to break down years of oxidation in old reels is Boeshield. Spray it on and leave overnight.
It was developed by Boeing for lubricating, protecting and waterproofing airplane parts.
I think you can get small bottles on Amazon etc. It's also become popular with the biking fraternity.
Pretty expensive though.