Hackle for palmered wets?

webblade

Will a Mets grade 1 hen neck have hackles long enough for palmered flies like the Zulu? If not, what should I be looking for?

sage5

Will a Mets grade 1 hen neck have hackles long enough for palmered flies like the Zulu? If not, what should I be looking for?
Yes it should do, I have used one a grade 2 one ( I think it was) and also whiting hen necks that are a better buy IMHO , but you could also buy a Indian Cock Neck from Cookshill that will do fine also

Hope this helps have a look at lakelands site

Wee Jimmy

It will do a fine job, however if you are looking for a large variety of colours you might save a few bob by buying Chinese and Indian necks at a more modest price.

colliedog

They should be long enough. With the Metz neck capes I have I can often get two flies per hackle. However I have 2 issues tying palmers wets with them. They are stiffer than I usually want and fibre density can be a bit high. I often end up stripping the fibres off the bottom side for anything I want less than full on flue brush. It seems a bit of a waste.

I prefer good quality Indian capes for wet flies with a bit of webbyness at the bottom for movement and a strong taper from bottom to top that will translate to a nice profile in the fly.

webblade

Thanks guys I've ordered the Mets in black as that's the colour I'll use most for Zulu, bibio, Kate mclaren etc. I will order some Chinese necks in other colours to try out as the Indian hen I have are too short. Is it Chinese hen or Chinese cock? I assumed Chinese cock are for dries.

BobP

I found the genetic capes & saddles too stiff and inactive for palmering unless for dries, eg mayfly patterns. I'd always use decent quality Indian capes for palmered wets.

Wee Jimmy

Thanks guys I've ordered the Mets in black as that's the colour I'll use most for Zulu, bibio, Kate mclaren etc. I will order some Chinese necks in other colours to try out as the Indian hen I have are too short. Is it Chinese hen or Chinese cock? I assumed Chinese cock are for dries.
Chinese cock hackles tend to be a wee bit bigger and softer than Indian but both are suitable for wets...👍
As a starting point I would suggest you follow the standard rule of thumb for a palmered style wet i.e cock hackle down the body and a few turns of hen at the shoulder.I do most of mine that way too but only you will know what you want your flies to look like and how you want them to fish.

colliedog

Indian hen feathers are generally too short for palmering but the cock capes are fine, as are chinese capes, especially for tying bigger flies.
Genetic hen necks have a longer feather and have also become popular for palmering.

webblade

Chinese cock hackles tend to be a wee bit bigger and softer than Indian but both are suitable for wets...👍
As a starting point I would suggest you follow the standard rule of thumb for a palmered style wet i.e cock hackle down the body and a few turns of hen at the shoulder.I do most of mine that way too but only you will know what you want your flies to look like and how you want them to fish.
Thanks Jimmy, plenty to go on there 👍

webblade

Just had a call from the supplier of the mets a week later saying he hasn't got the black in stock even though they took my money online. I had him send me furnace instead so I'm still after a black cape suitable for palmered wets and some of you have suggested good quality Indian or Chinese capes are suitable. Can anyone point me to a source of good quality necks suitable for size 12 - 14 Zulu, bibio, Kate mclaren please.

sage5

Just had a call from the supplier of the mets a week later saying he hasn't got the black in stock even though they took my money online. I had him send me furnace instead so I'm still after a black cape suitable for palmered wets and some of you have suggested good quality Indian or Chinese capes are suitable. Can anyone point me to a source of good quality necks suitable for size 12 - 14 Zulu, bibio, Kate mclaren please.
email or phone Steve Cooper at Cookshill or get in touch with Sam Mc Gowan at Irish Fly Supplies, and tell them what you need
good luck Duncan

webblade

email or phone Steve Cooper at Cookshill or get in touch with Sam Mc Gowan at Irish Fly Supplies, and tell them what you need
good luck Duncan
Thanks Duncan. I have emailed both for a quote as I'm looking for 4 capes and a complete Partridge skin.

diawl bach

It's a pity Chevron haven't continued to run their online shop, my best wet fly capes and saddles came from them. They've changed their business strategy to supplying stores but as there're no stockists near me I'll have to catch them at a game fair next year - if some kind of normality returns.

https://www.chevronhackles.com/stockists/

Latest posts