Hair Stacker.

GEK79

Hello all after watching a video posted here I attempted a fly but didn't have a hair stacker... So having a look for one it lead to the usual bamboozle of the fishing world... Lots of choices.. Do they all do a similar job or is one exceptionally better..
Any recommendations please and many thanks..
Gary

Vermontdrifter

Hey Gary;

they all do the same job but I would recommend getting a large and a small size. I only have a large and for shorter hair it can be a bit more messy to use.

take care

Terry

GEK79

Hey Gary;

they all do the same job but I would recommend getting a large and a small size. I only have a large and for shorter hair it can be a bit more messy to use.

take care

Terry
Many thanks Terry I had seen they have different sizes. Will have a look and see what's on offer.. Thanks lad
Stay safe.
Gary

pentlandflyman

Dr slick or stonfo, if you want good results and want zero hassle buy the right tool for the job. Loads of hacks like pens etc but a proper hair stacker is the way to go imo. And get a wee moustache comb or similar for combing out the crap or you won't be able to get it stacked in anything 😉 good luck with it.

m r roid

For years I used discharged. 410 bore shotgun cartridges. I had 4, or 5 cut to differing lengths depending on the length of hair I was stacking.

GEK79

Dr slick or stonfo, if you want good results and want zero hassle buy the right tool for the job. Loads of hacks like pens etc but a proper hair stacker is the way to go imo. And get a wee moustache comb or similar for combing out the crap or you won't be able to get it stacked in anything 😉 good luck with it.
Thanks a million... Have looked at the stonfo one it has two cylinders for different size hair.. 😜👍

running bear

As Pentland says, a purpose built stacker is the best job, it enables you to remove the hair by the tips, making it easier to get tie in, and keep the stack as you want it. You could make a removable end for a tube out of any of the other options govwn, but its a lot of hassle.

However the most important thing is to use the right hair for the job, not all are equal. Cheap heavy coarse hair is useless for smaller dries such as conparaduns.
Byw, I have the Stonfo with two optuons, it works well, i dont have experi2nce of any others.

wjg

Even with brass stackers, static electricity can be a pain. If so, give them a quick wipe with the clothes dryer static control sheets.

GEK79

As Pentland says, a purpose built stacker is the best job, it enables you to remove the hair by the tips, making it easier to get tie in, and keep the stack as you want it. You could make a removable end for a tube out of any of the other options govwn, but its a lot of hassle.

However the most important thing is to use the right hair for the job, not all are equal. Cheap heavy coarse hair is useless for smaller dries such as conparaduns.
Byw, I have the Stonfo with two optuons, it works well, i dont have experi2nce of any others.
Can't get the stonfo one at the moment and seems to be a good stacker...

LukeNZ

I think a few might be confusing a stacker with a packer.

Have seen biro tip casing tube minus the re-fill substituted where a bespoke tool for packing (deer hair muddler) not to hand; not seen a biro tube used as a hair stacker (hair tip alignment) though.

🙃

Last edited:

sawyer

Get a decent brass or wooden stacker - avoid cheap plastic ones as they are subject to static electricity and the hair will stick to the stacker
Second that, I gave one away to my Son that I had for years (made out of brass) & bought one that takes a couple of different sized plastic inserts & its nightmare. The static it creates/holds ends up sending the hair all over the place, especially Bucktail!

Latest posts