Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hair Stacker.

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  BobP 
G
#1 ·
Hello all after watching a video posted here I attempted a fly but didn't have a hair stacker... So having a look for one it lead to the usual bamboozle of the fishing world... Lots of choices.. Do they all do a similar job or is one exceptionally better..
Any recommendations please and many thanks..
Gary

#2 ·
Hey Gary;

they all do the same job but I would recommend getting a large and a small size. I only have a large and for shorter hair it can be a bit more messy to use.

take care

Terry

Reactions: arkle
#8 ·
For years I used discharged. 410 bore shotgun cartridges. I had 4, or 5 cut to differing lengths depending on the length of hair I was stacking.

Reactions: catzrob
#13 ·
As Pentland says, a purpose built stacker is the best job, it enables you to remove the hair by the tips, making it easier to get tie in, and keep the stack as you want it. You could make a removable end for a tube out of any of the other options govwn, but its a lot of hassle.

However the most important thing is to use the right hair for the job, not all are equal. Cheap heavy coarse hair is useless for smaller dries such as conparaduns.
Byw, I have the Stonfo with two optuons, it works well, i dont have experi2nce of any others.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a mini C&F stacker. I use it for stacking clipped Gallo de Leon hackle fibres. It's used as wings on some old Spanish patterns as featured in Luis Meana Baeza's book, 'The Pardon de Meana'
It's also good for stacking ultra fine dik-dik hair that I use for micro deer hair Caddis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.