Fly Fishing Forum banner

Half blood knot

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  morayfisher 
#1 ·
This is a knot i've used for years but for some reason the last few weeks they keep slipping on me and I have to re-tie it 3 or 4 times before I get a solid hold. Really can't put my finger on where I am going wrong. Does this happen to anyone else or any advice?

I've been using the same tippet, 6lb gigafish mono and i always wet the knot

#3 ·
Thanks Jim, I'll try that!

I've been using the grinner for flyline to tippet which hasn't failed yet but experimenting with tippet rings and they are a bit bulky plus I seem to waste a lot of tippet material.

#4 ·
Tie the knot as before, but add the tuck. Then, holding the leader AND the "spare" end that you are going to cut off between finger and thumb and draw it away fro, the hook eye. This will start to close the knot and when you let go the spare end will tend to stand out more or less at right angles. Now wet the line and inch the knot down to the eye. Do not touch the spare end. Snug the knot up tight against the eye of the hook and trim off close.

Two years ago I was having issues with the tucked half bloods slipping and picked up the above way of tying the knot from Don Stazicker who did a piece on knots in one of the magazines. Since I started doing the knot that way I cannot recall a knot slipping and I must tie it hundreds of times a season.

Just goes to show that there is often something interesting and useful in the mags.

#5 ·
My own way - which works for me - so no guarantees, like...

I fish wet flies on the lochs with a 3-fly team, so changing the fly on the dropper several times on a tough day shortens it each time and there is not enough spare to use a grinner (which is a slip-proof knot). So, I use a half blood knot. I never tuck a half blood knot - just don't like the look of it - and I find I don't need to do it. What I do...

I tie the knot and tighten it. The stub at this point is sticking out at right-angles to the fly. Then I put the stub in my teeth, let go the fly and pull on the dropper. This increases the tightness of the knot and also twists the fly round. The stub now sticks up at an angle. If it doesn't, then you haven't pulled it properly tight and need to give it another go. When the stub is sticking up, hold the fly in one hand and pull the nylon. The stub will 'jump-click' back to its original position at right-angles to the fly. (Occasionally, it is so tight it won't do the jump-click, and on those occasions you can pull it into the right-angle position by hand.)

I have used the above all my life, with standard nylon, double-strength-type nylon and fluorocarbon. As I said, it works for me.

Col

#6 · (Edited)
i always use a tucked half blood knot its never failed me

put the line through the eye and make 4- 6 turns
then bring the end back through the first loop (you made in the line)
and back into the big loop youve now created( inthe line)
wet it hold the tag end and pull

imo its the ideal fisherman knot
YouTube

#9 ·
Calder Junkie shared a great leader to tippet connection method a while back. It’s basically a tucked half blood in the end of the leader, tied around a needle and secured with a drop of superglue. It was one of those “ why didn’t I think of that? “ things, but a first class tip. That and the Davey knot have improved my set up no end.
Belated thanks to C J!

#10 ·
@cap'nfishy the steps you described is what stopped using it, it, involves to much attention to get it 100%.right 100% of the time
I prefer a grinner for reliability but find the davy knot the quickest and use that for rainbows.
That said I've tested the single blood knot against the davy knot and found the blood knot to be 10/12% stronger than the davy.

Al

#11 ·
@cap'nfishy the steps you described is what stopped using it, it, involves to much attention to get it 100%.right 100% of the time
Well, it's no problem for me - been using it for over 40 years. Never fails me. When you've been using it for 40 years, you do it with your eyes shut in 2 seconds. :p

I made a point of saying it's what works for me. Maybe not for everyone, though... ;)

Col

#12 ·
I'm still using the Penny knot to attach all my flies and tippet rings.
No problems in hundreds of outings using Maxima or Gigafish Ultra.
It works for me because it's quick and easy, even with my fingers and thumbs and when cold and wet. Still need to check every time it's tied as with any other knot. I find three turns are best.

Fishing Tips - The Quick Penny Knot - Peter Hayes Fly Fishing - Expect My Best

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.