Handmade rod tube

badcaster

Just completed my first wooden rod tube, a tester put together with soft pine but hardwood end caps.

Process is sorted and the end result will be sublime with some nice hardwood!

Last edited:

badcaster

Thanks LTS, a nice thought but I'll be going down the walnut, cherry and curly maple route I reckon!! Got some nice figured timber to hand which will be put to good use.:thumbs::thumbs:

ROVER

Nice tube that

I flirted with making one just like that not so long ago.

Graeme

Mrtrout

I think bamboo is the perfect material for rod tubes, cheap strong and waterproof. Bit like plastic. :D
S.

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Or aloominum :whistle:

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

On the second pic, at the end, the side nearest to you - the angles look like they don't quite intersect. Is that intentional, or was it a fix? Either way, it's neatly done.

badcaster

[/COLOR]On the second pic, at the end, the side nearest to you - the angles look like they don't quite intersect. Is that intentional, or was it a fix? Either way, it's neatly done.[/QUOTE]

Good spot there LTS, absolutely not deliberate but all part of the learning process. Softwood splinters like crazy which is why there's other spots where there are imperfections, obviously hardwood is better to work with and splinters and the likes are avoided. There are always challenges in doing something new and this certainly had a few.:thumbs::thumbs:

splinters

Nice work. I've been meaning to try that for years but somehow never got around to it. Do you cut the strips on a bandsaw? I hope when you do the hardwood one you'll post pictures of the process.

Simon.

badcaster

Thanks Simon, the strips are cut on a bandsaw, hence the book matches, then planed/sanded smooth and even before machining the joints. I'll pm you with some more info.

noidea

That is fantastic, and now ive got to go and buy some wood, thanks alot

easker1

Nice Job , I managed to get a big sheet of veneer and rolled a rod tube for a rod I had made for some one, I turned the cap and base , I would post a pic but I done seem to have the knack :) easker

ohanzee

Nice Job , I managed to get a big sheet of veneer and rolled a rod tube for a rod I had made for some one, I turned the cap and base , I would post a pic but I done seem to have the knack :) easker

That is a hard thing to do and get the edges to meet perfectly, for strength they say lay it up in a spiral like toilet paper tubes, I made one years ago, very strong and very light, works our pretty inexpensive also if you use a couple of layers of constructional grade beech with something posh over the top.

Another vote for bamboo for me.

easker1

what about a bit of 3 in dia, boo then you knock out the inside and make some ends and caps , naturally varnished , I had a think about what you said Alan, I rolled mine over 3 layers thick but then I found the Veneer:) easker1,

Last edited:

badcaster

Bamboo is an interesting one, will surely catch the eye of the tenkara guys. I've personally never worked with it other than sticks in the garden so I'll have to see if I get chance to do one.

Cleaning the inside could be interesting with a flapper wheel on an extension, bit like a chimney sweep? Otherwise not sure what else could be done, or would it need it?

ohanzee

Heading away from the wood aesthetic a bit but this stuff comes ready made...

IMG_2849_300X300_.jpg

easker1

Heading away from the wood aesthetic a bit but this stuff comes ready made...

IMG_2849_300X300_.jpg
Nice Alan, one of the Archers in our session is a Graphite tube maker but I prefer the Natural approach, re Bamboo, I had a old American Rod with its own Bamboo tube,easker1

ohanzee

Nice Alan, one of the Archers in our session is a Graphite tube maker but I prefer the Natural approach, re Bamboo, I had a old American Rod with its own Bamboo tube,easker1

How do you ream out the inside to get it smooth enough?

badcaster

How do you ream out the inside to get it smooth enough?
I really don't know what would be required to clear the inside. I've not seen much of the large sized bamboo but I presume it is sold with the soft inner pith removed.

How cylindrical the middle of these large sections are after the pith has been removed I have no idea. If it's fairly cylindrical then it could be sanded smooth with a flapper wheel, but if it needs machining then I'd have thought you'd be talking costly cutting tools to be able to repeatedly achieve anything smooth?

Multi section octagonal/ hexagonal tubes can be built with bamboo as they can with any other timber, but although bamboo has the advantages mentioned previously, it's interesting that if a number of multi section / plain bamboo tubes where put together, side by side I'm presuming they would be almost indistinguishable - do that with any other timber and virtually every single one would be unique. Each to their own though of course and at the end of the day there's challenges to be overcome in all such projects.