Hardy glass test, brook

markemark21

Hello guys what's your opinions on two rods I'm after in particular haardy the test and the brook. They look great but cant seem to find one just wounderd if anyone has had experience with them

Uncas

It seems they are not well liked by the Americans To soft and slow.
Have a look at Woronoco custom fly rods or for a bit more money look at Graywolf fly rods.

mebu

Beggar what the Americans think....both rods are nice and slow for easy small river work, would be happy with any of them (but do prefer my Echo glass).
Peter

markemark21

Well I've been lucky to buy one the brook!
So looking fwd to getting it tommro. Will let you know what I think of it still trying to find a hardy test aswell

markemark21

The few reviews that I've seen over here were actually pretty positive, at least among fans of glass.
I do love my glass rods especially on rivers still got a epic 5wt I need to take on the still water

Uncas

I enjoy glass as well, I have a ST. CROIX and a McFarland 7'9'' being built.
And thinking about a Steffen bros. for next year.

markemark21

Hello they just put it by the door my wife only spotted it before she took the dogs out. So no one actually singes for it. Thanks parcel force!
Its inside the house now I'll look at it when I get back

Hardrar

Fast Glass rods have made all my Carbon rods redundant!
Sadly I’m old enough to remember the switch from glass to Carbon and bitd the best glass rods were as good if not better than the early even top end Carbon rods.
I always felt Carbon was never as progressive as Glass and was always more tiring and doesn’t have the delicate touch that glass has. I drop virtually no fish off with Glass and can cast just as far with accuracy.
I have a Hardy Flyweight glass 6’ #2 and its awesome.
All glass rods will feel soft compared to carbon ( hence why they are less tiring) it’s just adjusting your casting stroke and timing. Line mending roll casting and Spey/switch/ Skagit is much easier and smoother with glass.

Hardrar

I do love my glass rods especially on rivers still got a epic 5wt I need to take on the still water
7F599248-0069-4530-B1F0-478AA87D1470.jpeg
27 inch plus naturalised Bow- ( fish farm escapee 5 years back- there’s bigger in our beck!
15 minute scrap Epic 8’ #5 took me down to the backing 3 times and cleared the water by 6 foot on more than one occasion was 5lb 6 ounces. Not sure a Carbon rod would have coped with a 3.5 lb tippet?

markemark21

View attachment 30732
27 inch plus naturalised Bow- ( fish farm escapee 5 years back- there’s bigger in our beck!
15 minute scrap Epic 8’ #5 took me down to the backing 3 times and cleared the water by 6 foot on more than one occasion was 5lb 6 ounces. Not sure a Carbon rod would have coped with a 3.5 lb tippet?
Wow that's a impressive catch. Ecpicially on glass

Hardrar

I used to fish 6-7’ #2 rods but kept getting broken on the occasional bigger fish, most are sub a pound both Grayling and Browns but you get a few Big Browns, naturalised Rainbows and Chub to 5 pounds plus, so use an #4/5 glass now. They are no heavier than carbon and have a more forgiving tip but power lower down.
The Echo rods are softer but not the NZ Epic rods, they are a revelation to cast and play fish with.

markemark21

I used to fish 6-7’ #2 rods but kept getting broken on the occasional bigger fish, most are sub a pound both Grayling and Browns but you get a few Big Browns, naturalised Rainbows and Chub to 5 pounds plus, so use an #4/5 glass now. They are no heavier than carbon and have a more forgiving tip but power lower down.
The Echo rods are softer but not the NZ Epic rods, they are a revelation to cast and play fish with.
Well I'm driving up to north Yorkshire friday cant wait going to try out my 5wt epic just put a tapered leader to try out.

Then I've set up my hardy brook with a smaller lighter one to try on the streams and rivers.

Looking fwd to a fight with the 5wt.
I caught a 3lb rainbow on my 7ft 3wt felt like a monster lol

Hardrar

Well I'm driving up to north Yorkshire friday cant wait going to try out my 5wt epic just put a tapered leader to try out.
61723499-9E17-49C5-82C3-079C3FA84D95.jpeg

If you catch one of these the 7’#3 won’t be any use at all. Stick with the Epic 8’#5 like this Adam Rawson built one of mine. The fish took me down to the backing 3 times and leapt clear by 6 feet twice,15 minute tussle, but managed to bank him nearly 28 inches and 5 lbs 6oz Been broken too many times on #2/3 outfits. Our syndicated waters are mainly Wild Browns and Grayling to a pound, but there are a few big browns, Rainbows ( naturalised) to 10. Chub 5+ and Grayling to 3.
It’s irresponsible to use #2/3 or less fairy wands, as you get broken too regularly.