Hardy rods

peter777

Hi lads and lasses I'm in the market for a new fly rod and I've been looking at the hardy wraith and zephrus do any of you own these rods and are they worth the money..
I'd appreciate your help...
Cheers Peter

davefish

No they are definately not worth the money. Most Hardy stuff comes from China now. Blank prob costs them 10-20 quid. It's all bull. Find a uk rod builder using good kit and buy that.

C.

lepirate

Well, mostly made in Korea, except top ones. The Korea factory is pretty much 'state of the art' and Hardy design, stipulate composite and are very involved in the manufacture. They have some very good rods, Sintrix ones especially get praise. Sometimes the warranty seems to get some criticism. Orvis, perhaps, have seemingly the best warranty and customer service. Whatever you decide, at those prices, try the rods! :)
Dave.

haggstock

[SUP][/SUP]Lots of things are made “ off shore “ it does not make them bad . Hardy rods are excellent pieces of kit . Don’t buy into this it’s Hardy it’s rubbish nonsense . I have a few Hardy rods and a couple of custom built rods on Harrison LorHic blanks . If it was a choice between keeping my Hardy Zenith or my Harrison , the Hardy Zenith would win.

Having said that , have a look at Loop and Guideline as well .

tangled

I'm not sure why you'd pick a particular premium brand out of the air rather than another. It's going to be a bit random if you don't know the model or haven't tried any. But I guess it's what many of us do. It doesn't matter that much if you're spending £50-£100 I suppose but if it's going to be, say, £800, perhaps it does?

Most people that don't spend half their lives fishing seem to buy on price or brand or recommendation or impulse then get used to that model's action whatever it is. I seriously doubt that average anglers gain any fishing benefit from different brands of rod - cheap or dear.

If that's you, then you'll be happy with your Hardy regardless of any considerations other than its name. And that's perfectly fine - it'll be a good rod, you'd have to work hard to buy a bad one from a known brand.

Personally, if I was going to buy a posh rod - and I might one day - I'd be looking for a custom rod from an independent because I reckon they deserve our support and there's a 'real' person and personal service behind the name. You're not just buying another bit of stuff and feeding the fat cat capitalists ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: atr

squimp

I have several Sintrix saltwater rods as they as good as anything available.

However I won’t buy super expensive rods - so these are original Zenith models bought as ‘end of line’ clearance rods.

All my other saltwater rods were bought used including several Loomis and Atomsix. That is my way of limiting my spending on rods.

If I was in the market for a brand new top quality rod I would call Steve Parkes at Atomsix. He would build you a fully customised rod on a quality blank. It would be individual to you and also cheaper than an off the shelf Hardy, Sage or Loomis.

Hope this helps.

mrnotherone

I had a Zenith, it was a bit stiff but I liked it. When I tried the Helios 2, I much preferred it and swapped the Zenith for one. I've not tried a Zephrus, but I've heard they are better all round than the Zenith they replaced. If you're up for spending some serious money, I would look at more than one premium brand.

roger h 10

I have Zephrus rods in 9'0" #5 & 6 weights and they are excellent. I haven't used a Wraith but I think they are much stiffer than the Zephrus.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter where the rods are made, Hardy's are made in Korea NOT China, and as has already been said the plant is 'state of the art'.

Have a look at some of the other premium brands also, I have 2 Vision SISU's in the same weights as my Zephrus's and they are a very similar action, excellent rods at less money.

If you fancy upgrading to a premium product go ahead and do it, at the end of the day it is you that will have pride of ownership and the pleasure of using a good bit of kit.

skajtrout

The Wraith is very similar to the Sage Method, an absolute cannon. The one time I cast 100ft+ was with a Wraith (downhill with the wind behind me) however they are (again, like the Method) hugely unforgiving and really lack feel, forget using fine tippets as you'll get smashed on the take often enough. They have ultra fast recovery, and for that read ultra stiff. I sold mine, it had no soul. Make of that what you will. I've also owned a Zephrus and a few Zeniths and they are, for me, part of the group of perfectly good fly rods that I've owned and quite liked but not loved.

If I had to choose between a Wraith, Zephrus or Zenith I'd pick a Guideline Fario. In a heartbeat.

Skaj

rusty

Hi lads and lasses I'm in the market for a new fly rod and I've been looking at the hardy wraith and zephrus do any of you own these rods and are they worth the money..
I'd appreciate your help...
Cheers Peter
Hi Peter,
The posts have expressed some helpful views regarding Hardy Wraith and Zephrus rods.
However, you need to explain why you are in the market for a new fly rod to enable your question to be fully answered. Is someone offering to buy you a rod, do you just fancy another rod, is there a gap in your armoury or do you feel that a new rod will benefit your casting?
Rusty

roger h 10

Whereabouts in the country are you Peter? Dependant upon where you are you may be able to try before you buy or may even be a member with one of these rods near you that would be willing to let you try theirs.

smelleken

Nothing wrong with flyrods from Hardy's IMHO they are a bit overhyped in price. And it is true that a custom rodbuilder can build a real gem of a rod for this price. A rod that fit's like a glove to your own hand. It is your brass :)

dave b

I haven't posted for a while but having owned two Zephrus models here's my thoughts. If I had to pick one rod to do all of my fly fishing with on rivers and still waters it would be the Zephrus 9ft 5#. It's simply a stunning rod that would cast a full line but have the finesse to play a 6oz trout and put a nice progressive bend in the rod.

I owned a Sage One 9ft 3# it was a beautiful rod with lots of soul but the 5# was a bit of a beast. I also owned an Orvis Helios 2, another great rod that did everything well, but it lacked the heart and soul of the Hardy.

The other Zephrus I owned was a 10ft 3# and all I can say is that it was simply stunning particularly for french leader and dry fly fishing.

Both rods were tried by a number of anglers at the Devon Rivers get together and the consensus of all who cast them was that they were two of the best rods they'd cast.

Over priced? You could say that of any high end premium rod. I've tried Scotts, not overly impressed. Sage always impressive. Orvis great rods, not everybody's choice but the best warranty you can buy and several others.

Would I buy Hardy again. Without question. Would I pay full price - No I'd buy when they are discounted as you get some superb bargains. Only advice is make sure you register the warranty.

Last edited:

sean freeman

I've had most high end rod brands but never a Hardy. I have however just ordered a demon smuggler for backpacking to remote highland lochs. I looked at the reviews of all the different pack rods and the Hardy always came out top. The trident review on youtube spoke very highly of it. The pack rod market is something I would like to see expanded. I know Winston done nice ones but would like to see Sage come out with one.
As above I didn't pay full retail for the smuggler, got 20% off from an official retailer. :thumbs:

looking forward to trying my first Hardy. People who own them speak highy of them.

Sean

LukeNZ

I have a Wraith 9’ in 6wt., a Zephyrus 10’ in 5wt. and a Zenith 8’6” in 5wt. as well as other rods from Hardy and other premium brands - Sage, Scott and Burkheimer.

The Wraith is a great rod, and I tend to use a 6wt. DT floating line with that and 6lb. leader. Good for heavy bombs and streamers - nothing wrong with it - great looking and good quality, as you would expect. Plenty of casting and hooking power - accurate. Very purposeful, with useful power - not as over the top as the Sage Method, but it would still probably throw just as much line out.

My 10ft. 5# Zephyrus is a very nice casting rod, not slow, but it does have a particularly nice tip and is good with longer leaders, lighter flys and nymphs , wetfly, soft hackles etc, - ok with tippet down to 4lb. A good all around fishing rod.

The 8’6” 5# Zenith is a nice rod for smaller rivers and streams, good with lighter dry fly and nymphs - still wouldn’t go less than 4lb test. Slightly firmer tip than Zephyrus, handles 5wt. DT line no problem.

Aesthetically I am not a fan of the green colour of the Zephyrus rod and green tone of its wooden reel spacer. To me, the Wraith looks good and purposeful and has a nice matte finish with subtle whipping detail. The Zenith looks good too, without being blingy.

The Wraith is nicest to look at overall, to me anyway. It is exceptionally light for the power it has. But it is useful and usable power. It does everything with authority, and still retains good feel. Probably a rod for good casters, who can use what it can do.

For most fishers all round use, probably the Zephyrus would fit the bill, the quality of it is top shelf. With all the usual Hardy quality fittings, section ferrule plugs, metal rod tube etc.

If you’re somebody that likes to fish quickly and purposefully, change direction, and cast and mend with authority, play a fish out quickly then go with the Wraith.

The Zenith is a capable rod, looks good and casts well, a good dry fly rod in the shorter lengths and will certainly handle the occasional big or hot running fish. Maybe just slightly lacking in feel compared to the Zephyrus, but with a similar speed.

When I take a single hand rod instead of the usual troutspey’s - personally, I grab the Wraith. Low and slower water in summer, probably the Zephyrus.

Cheers,
Luke

ozfisher

Love how some on here are knocking the latest Hardy rods, but I'll bet London to a brick they have never cast one. Anyway, if an Asian made rod is not to your tastes (counts out Loomis too i guess ) then get your mitts on a British assembeld HBX. These are lovely rods.