Hardy rods

Paul_B

Love how some on here are knocking the latest Hardy rods, but I'll bet London to a brick they have never cast one. Anyway, if an Asian made rod is not to your tastes (counts out Loomis too i guess ) then get your mitts on a British assembeld HBX. These are lovely rods.
I buy my rods from Pure Fishing in Alnwick as they do a good deal (very good), have a reasonable choice and I can try before I buy, plus I like holidaying in the area.
The last couple of times I've been in to buy a rod, I've tried them out on the testing strip and its a blind trial without price tags, I've bought a greys rod.
As they don't like you to buy until you've tried each rod in different weights and lengths it can take a while

Hardy rods are very well made and I do like them, its just that I preferred a Greys each time in a blind test, we are however all different in what suits our style.

I haven't tried their latest this years models as I've had to cancel my Northumbrian holiday due to this lock down :(

Uncas

I tested the Hardy HBX and the Wraith last year and found them to be quite stiff not a lot of feel.
A better rod for casting was the Sage Pulse 9'x5 a lovely fishing rod cast short or long with ease.
But I bought the Scott Radian 9'x5 I also tried the Banana rod 9'x5 which was excellent.
On reflection I would have been just as happy with the Sage, because it did everything well for less money.

Hardrar

I have both and tbh was going to buy a Loop S1 but John Norris offered me ( been a lifelong customer for 50 years now) to take a Zephrus without paying for it to try for a week or two- was in the shop but don’t live locally, without paying for it. I kept the rod and bought another in a different length. Loads of control and precision, without being too stiff to bump fish off. The wraith is stiffer, but not unmanageable.
Have been impressed with the cork quality and don’t find either tiring after a long day on the bank.

sean freeman

I think my Demon smuggler in a 9’ #5 is sublime, honestly one of the best rods I’ve cast and you have the advantage of its packability. Only think that has tarnished my ownership was it snapping whilst playing a fish the first day I used it but the replacement has been okay since (touch wood).

I’m planning a couple of trips over the next few years including NZ and Montana so want a good quality 9’ #5 & #6. Currently deciding between a pair of Scott Radians or Stickmans.