Hardy Ultralite fw dd reels

Just the buzzer

Anyone using the above mentioned reel , I’m thinking of getting one for a 5# rod and wondering what people think of these reels or if there are any known issues.

tight lines all

Mrtrout

Basically a very nice reel light good design etc, at first one or two had problems with the drag not being set correctly, but not heard of one for a while.
Id advise you to try the reel first in a shop and buying that particular reel rather than online.
S.

Just the buzzer

Basically a very nice reel light good design etc, at first one or two had problems with the drag not being set correctly, but not heard of one for a while.
Id advise you to try the reel first in a shop and buying that particular reel rather than online.
S.
Yeh good call , the only problem is fishing shops just opened up here .... and ques are a mile long to get in

kerryjordan

I have one and it’s absolutely fine. I think though that Danielsson reels have the edge ( I have several), and significantly less money since you’re buying them from the manufacturer and don’t have the big retail mark-up. Also if you’re going to do any French / tight line nymphing a caged reel is preferable and Vosseler make a fine version again at a good price direct from the factory.
But not trying to put you off the Hardy - I use mine often and the drag setting is fine.

Just the buzzer

I have one and it’s absolutely fine. I think though that Danielsson reels have the edge ( I have several), and significantly less money since you’re buying them from the manufacturer and don’t have the big retail mark-up. Also if you’re going to do any French / tight line nymphing a caged reel is preferable and Vosseler make a fine version again at a good price direct from the factory.
But not trying to put you off the Hardy - I use mine often and the drag setting is fine.
I’ll be having a look at them 👍

dave b

I have two of them and think they are superb river reels with ultralight drags for fishing light leaders. I wouldn't recommend them for still waters as the drags are light however you can always apply pressure to the rim of the spool if the drag isn't up to it.

The 3000 takes a 4# and around 50yds of 20lb backing and the 4000 takes a 5# and 50 yds of 20 lb backing. Although the 3000 is rated for 3/4/5# and the 4000 is rated for 4/5/6 the upper ratings are ambitious and you would struggle to add a suitable length of backing.