Harlaw reservoir, campers and litterbugs

In the net

Has anyone been to harlaw reservoir recently, its been packed with campers and people out on picnics. I was fishing on Saturday and as the day went on I was walking past smoldering fires and litter everywhere. I spoke with the bayliff and he had caught 9 different people poaching when he arrived and asked them to leave. I appreciate the weather is nice and people will try to camp but is there any need to throw beer can and bottles into the water, moreover, there was a fair amount of tree damage for fire wood, is this being monitored. I fear the place is going down hill, it used to be a peaceful place to fish now it feels like a spannish resort.

ackroyd

Not surprised to read what you write, In the Net. Harlaw is indeed a beautiful spot but the Scottish attitude to litter is utterly shameful. You need not look any further than the verges of the M8 or the Edinburgh city by-pass. I think that we need to get the schools to inculcate into our children a sense of civic responsibility about litter. Children are very receptive to messaging and have few inhibitions about shaming their parents. One thing is for sure - Nicola will do nothing about it because she depends on the votes of the morons who despoil our countryside.

GEK79

Has anyone been to harlaw reservoir recently, its been packed with campers and people out on picnics. I was fishing on Saturday and as the day went on I was walking past smoldering fires and litter everywhere. I spoke with the bayliff and he had caught 9 different people poaching when he arrived and asked them to leave. I appreciate the weather is nice and people will try to camp but is there any need to throw beer can and bottles into the water, moreover, there was a fair amount of tree damage for fire wood, is this being monitored. I fear the place is going down hill, it used to be a peaceful place to fish now it feels like a spannish resort.
Sad to see..

McBad

That's a sad reflection on how things change. Harlow was a really pleasant (if sometimes freezing and windswept) fishery when i used to fish there, 35 years ago :). Used to get a bus to balerno, buy a day ticket at the newsagents, then walk up the hill for a day of peace, with the curlews and peewits for company. I guess there were no disposable barbecues and fewer single use plastic items back then.

wobbly face

A sad reflection on today's society, they just don't care!
The trash left at some beauty spots is unbelievable, not just single use plastic but cool boxes. How much for a cool box these days? They must have more money than sense. :mad:

glueman

Look at the pictures of the Jurrasic coast,or the sea front between clevelys and Fleetwood po r Cumbria .the English are just plain filthy

Scotty90

Hi Mate, I am a member and former bailiff on Harlaw and thriepmuir. You are spot on, I fished Friday and yesterday and it’s ridiculous the amount of non anglers making a mess. The park rangers do monitor the tree damage and fires are not actually allowed when the signs are up informing of dry conditions (which they are). Unfortunately our club only have a certain amount of sway as the reservoirs are in the national park, although we are the only ones who pay to use it. We can move on poachers and report them to police and we can attempt to deter underage drinking etc but we have no real powers, only police contact.

To be fair to the park rangers they do a great job but I think just now the novelty of the sunny weather, a tad more freedom and leisure facilities being closed, people are turning up in droves to “relax” by the water.

I share your fears, these reservoirs are my home waters and the last couple of years have been tough to say the least. I really hope we survive this and get our proper chance next season. That being said the club is doing what we can to keep up the fishing and there are stockings of quality fish every month.

Hopefully the nitwits get bored soon with the heatwave coming to an end and we can get back to our peaceful surroundings.

Scott

In the net

Just a follow up on the current action being taking to tackle poaching at harlaw reservoir. Permission has been granted to season permit holders and members to start fishing at 6am in order to deter poachers, bayliffs will be allowed from daybreak. I'm sure many loyal anglers are grateful to have the management team we have up there putting these actions into place. The results will hopefully mean we can hook up more often and have peace of mind that the water has no pollution from power bait and rubbish they leave behind. Well done and keep fighting the good fight.

Latest posts