Hat with lights for late evenings

Spider

Anyone use any of these? Might be awkward for me as my cap has a clip on magnifier already. Fished late for first time last night. Heaven, but v hard to tie fly on....

Spider

..... Alternatively, when using a head torch, does light colour matter / scare the fish?

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Anyone use any of these? Might be awkward for me as my cap has a clip on magnifier already. Fished late for first time last night. Heaven, but v hard to tie fly on....
A baseball style cap with the led lights in edge of brim/beak. Simple on off button in hat band. Got three or four of them, all from that renown fishing tackle shop ALDI !!!
Regards
Bert

morayfisher

A baseball style cap with the led lights in edge of brim/beak. Simple on off button in hat band. Got three or four of them, all from that renown fishing tackle shop ALDI !!!
Regards
Bert
Have used these for work. About £8 I think from well known Online retailer.

JCP

I have a Bloke Fly Rod baseball cap with LED's in the brim.A waterproof Clip On LED light from Orvis which is very versatile.Both have given good service.Not sure if Mick Bell ( Bloke Fly Rods) still does the caps.

JP

loiselod

I support those who recommend you to use a baseball cap. It is very convenient and allows you to do what you want Baseball caps are designed for sports and outdoor activities and are simply irreplaceable when you need to get out into nature. I'm not a fisherman, but I like to walk in the woods with my dog. When walking , I always wear a baseball cap because it protects me from both the sun and the rain . Now I have found a cool model 5 Panel Hat and ordered myself a few pieces in reserve. Since I often lose them in the forest.

Last edited:

pentlandflyman

Just buy a head torch and wear it over your cap if you already have a magnifier clipped on, its what i use and they are brilliant. you can have it on the lowest setting which is fine for tying leaders, flies etc or the highest setting that is fantastic for walking back to the car in the dark, they even have SOS patterns if you get into trouble and some come with a red light setting as well. Amazon have loads for not a lot of money, a full charge on mine lasts me 4 or 5 trips.

anzac

..... Alternatively, when using a head torch, does light colour matter / scare the fish?
The Streamligh Sidewinder Compact IIhead torch I use has white, red, blue and UV light settings, and is dis-mountable so it can be worn on one's clothes (has a clip) or hand held. It's easily the best of the several I've had and used over the years.

The Endrick Spider

After over 30 years of night fishing the best torch I had with me was the one I kept in my bag and then tried to forget that it was there. As soon as you put on a torch not only did you lose your night vision, you spooked the fish as well. I stayed away from other anglers, more so those fishing fly and maggot for their torches were on and off all the time checking their flies. Then you have those anglers that cant put one foot in front of the other without putting on a torch. Is it any wonder as to why they never caught any fish?
I learnt how to put my rod up in total darkness, attach a reel, feed the line through the rings and attach my cast of 2 flies. I had about 8 spare casts already made up in my bag where if a change of cast was needed there was no need for a torch being involved. There were no attachments at the end of my fly line, just a knot. The top of my cast of 8 or 10 lbs nylon cast was a big loop. This loop was doubled over and the knot on the end of my fly line was passed through this loop where the cast was then slid down and jammed against the cast.
One of the best pools on the River Endrick was totally ruined by committee members trying to make improvements. They built a beautifully constructed bench for the anglers comfort but then placed it on the highest point on the bank. It was well used and much appreciated by the members when taking a a break where out came the torches and once again these were being flashed about as they looked for their flasks and sandwiches thus once again spooking any fish in the pool.
My form of transport was a 200cc scooter and when I arrived at the place I intended to fish my scooter was wheeled off the road behind a wall in a farmers field. Should the water bailiffs happen to be passing I did not want them knowing I was there. My permit was all in order but I did not want them sneaking down to the pool, jumping out on me and then flashing their torches in my face as they checked my permit. That would be the fished spooked and my nights fishing finished. Neither did they ever know just how many fish I was catching for they would tell everyone else they meet on the river and then that would be another small pool wasted. According to them I must have been the only angler that never caught any fish where at the same time I do not know of anyone that caught more. One of the main reasons for this, I did not need to use a torch.

Paul_B

I use a millets kids led head torch, its small, not too bright and can be tilted down so you can see hook tying or into the bag.

I have a Cree head torch but its far to bright for fishing, too bright for anything really, ok shining on the dark side of the moon, but thats about all.

anzac

The Streamlight I use tilts as well and has multiple brightness settings. It's on/off at the lowest setting, which is good for not wrecking my night vision. Using the red light is night vision friendly too.

The Endrick Spider

The Streamlight I use tilts as well and has multiple brightness settings. It's on/off at the lowest setting, which is good for not wrecking my night vision. Using the red light is night vision friendly too.
In my day no one had ever seen head torches on the river before but I will never forget the night I first saw one. I was fishing a pool on the River Endrick called Coolies Lynn where with the river running high I had what is a very busy pool to myself. Having this busy pool to myself at night when the river is running high, for obvious reasons this was not unusual. I had already caught quite a few fish, taken two for my clients which were hidden under the long seat on my scooter, (head to tail I could get two 4lb sea trout under my seat) and put the rest back. None of my family like any form of fish out of fresh water therefore unless someone asks me for fish they are all returned.

Anyway, this car pulled up in the layby and people got out but no one appeared. I thought that if they were anglers they must be tackling up at the car, if it is the water bailiffs then they must be watching me with their night sights. About 15 minutes later 3 torches headed down through the field towards the river. Two were carrying hand torches and as for the third, this was well above the others. My first thoughts were, 'Jesus Christ look at the height of that guy in the middle'. As they finally approached me they had the decency to switch off their torches where I said to the guy wearing the head torch, 'I have never seen one of those before'. He went on to say these are the things for the future, they give you the extra height which lets you see well ahead as to where you are going. He then asked me if it was alright for him to make a start at the head of the pool which was about 50 yards further up the river? I told him just to carry on so on came the head torch which lit up the banking well ahead of him and then he disappeared. The torch lit up the way ahead alright but not immediately in front of him where he then disappeared headfirst into the burn.
The burn I am talking about, for many years it never actually entered the river at that place, it was much further down but whenever the river was in spate the water from the burn could not enter the river so the field flooded. The farmer made this new entrance and that solved the problem of flooding. I have not seen the river in over 20 years but there is a film of a guy fishing this pool on YouTube which is called 'My First Salmon' where you will see him standing at the burn mouth. As I have just said I have not seen this river for 20 years yet when I saw him standing there my first thoughts were, 'You won't catch anything there'. He didn't, he caught it further down where this burn used to enter the river.

Latest posts