Haul a Roll.

Novice

I fish for pikevon my local canal and like most canals there is limited back cast and apart from casting parallel to the canal the only option is to roll cast. Is it possible to put a haul into a roll cast to increase distance?

ohanzee

Hauling a static roll is a bit of a damp squib compared to hauling a jump roll or spey cast which will then go as far as an overhead cast with the same head length out.

tangled

I fish for pikevon my local canal and like most canals there is limited back cast and apart from casting parallel to the canal the only option is to roll cast. Is it possible to put a haul into a roll cast to increase distance?

If the water in the canal is moving you should be able to Spey cast. Canals are rarely very wide, what distance are you trying to cast?

Novice

If the water in the canal is moving you should be able to Spey cast. Canals are rarely very wide, what distance are you trying to cast?
The wider bends are 20yds at least. Not much flow on the canal as boats are static at the moment and my canal has no local locks.

Novice

Steve buy a Single handed spey line and have a look at Andrew Toft's video on YouTube.
Not really suitable Noel as I will be retrieving right back to my feet. Which means I will have very little line out to start the next cast.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Not really suitable Noel as I will be retrieving right back to my feet. Which means I will have very little line out to start the next cast.
Wiggle out more line onto water prior to starting roll cast, will need two goes to get distance, with a short haul as line approaches water, wont add distance, but will straighten it all out!
Bert

tangled

I think in those circumstances fly fishing is really just not suitable, it becomes pretty unpleasant and probably ineffective fishing. Buy a spinning rod.

anith

Try working up the cut in one direction,lay one or two false cast on the margins you have worked up to
and then whack it out,at this time of year on the towpath side most of the reeds are gone.Dont worry to much about distubance it can wake the pike up.Or make your cast and take a couple steps up the way this will leave the fly down from you.

Last edited: