Hawthorn Fly

LDO

Loads of them blown onto my local Scottish river today, but unfortunately the trout seemed uninterested in them. Was almost eating them myself they looked so tasty. Picky blighters trout.

lee71

There are a lot around my dog walking area but 1 mile away (as the crow flies)
at my local ressie there are only a few, Saw one today with a white spot on it's head and am sure it had another white spot further down, It was on my rod tube.

beryl

I hope no insect was damaged in this photo shoot? I'm still trying to work out which he tied and which one was kidnapped.....

manny26

There was loads of Hawthorn flies around the river Derwent near Newcastle last Sunday, it was quite windy, they were getting blown all over, but the fish just weren't interested in them.

Bri.

LDO

It really is the ultimate slap in the face when a fly finally appears in numbers that you have a really great imitation of and the fish are not even interested in the natural. I wonder if at first they are a bit too unusual for the fish - very little larger non-ephemerid flies are appearing on the surface up to this point in the season. Hope they last long enough for the trout here to develop a taste for them.

steve collyer

Loads of them in Sussex the last fortnight or so.
Bit of a hazard if you're a cyclist, or a free lunch depending on how you view it...

shropshire_lad

Loads round here too. Quick question, do they bite or sting? The reason I ask is when cycling something flew into my mouth and definitely bit or stung me on the lip as it did so. Too early and not painful enough for a wasp. Likewise, doubt it was a bee. Not sure what it was but there were loads of Hawthorn flies around.

speytime

I seen some to today in the local park, miles from water and very limited hawthorn?
They were under a chestnut tree, i can't say I've noticed that before, maybe just never paid attention?

Al

Wee Jimmy

I seen some to today in the local park, miles from water and very limited hawthorn?
They were under a chestnut tree, i can't say I've noticed that before, maybe just never paid attention?

Al
I’m not sure what the association with the hawthorn tree is either Al.Most likely to be folklore or a timing thing when the blossom comes into bloom rather than anything to do with the insects life cycle or habitat.You will see them in the air on the lee side of just about any bush or tree.Its a terrestrial fly not aquatic ,closelay related to the heather fly(red legs).

Tommy Ruffe

I've been seeing them, Bibio Marci, for the past two weeks or so. In fact, in all my days, I've never seen so many! I'm told they hatch out of fields of couch grass but I actually saw them flying around a Hawthorn tree and adjoining Hawthorn edge. I think they're so-called because they usually appear around the time the Hawthorn trees flower, their alternative name being St. Mark's Fly. St. Mark's Day being April 25th.

They're a favourite meal of trout and it's most unfortunate that we've missed out on some excellent dry fly fishing. 😭

colliedog

Just back from a walk up the hill and the cold wind seems to have dropped them out of the air. They were hanging off the broom in their dozens.