Haywards Farm Trout Fishery, Berkshire (Sportfish Game Angling Centre)

johnyboy

Just been this afternoon, had a couple of hours to kill so thought I'd get a 2 fish ticket (£24). I was back in the lodge and weighing up within 30 mins, and that included a 5min walk and tackling up.

Fish were a reasonable size 2lb9 and 3lb4, and looked to be in good quality but didn't really fight at all.

Not a bad experience, but not wonderful.

jeffd

Re: Haywards Farm Trout Fishery, Berkshire

First time at this fishery, friendly staff and made to feel welcome Venue seems to be very well run. Water crystal clear and lots of fish showing but not easy. I mangaged 2 rainbows for my day but like the previous post I was dissapointed with the fight from the fish, my best fish of 3 pounds just didnt give me half the pull of a Farmor fish of the same size.

sax_man

Visited here yesterday. The unseasonably cold and windy conditions are forecast to last, so I could not wait any longer - you see this was my first outing with a fly rod after a quick casting lesson and bit of practice on a local field...

First impressions: very friendly and helpful staff, and once I explained it was my first outing I was given a comprehensive overview of the facility and tips/advice on how/where fish were being caught.

The location: parking (until the lakeside dries-out) is in the car park where you will find the SportFish tackle shop, but the lake hut is somewhat hidden behind. Despite its proximity to the M4 and having a railway line as the north side boarder, this is an unexpectedly pleasant location - OK, I don't exactly have anything to compare it to yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon here.

The Fishing: For most of the afternoon I was the entertainment - gusts putting my casts into the reeds, trees and even my tackle-bag, as I made my way around the lake. True to his word, the guy who sold me my ticket dropped by to give me a few tips and look through my flybox to point out my best options. I was having a great time despite the wind - my casting was improving, and the sun even put in the occasional appearance. I was about to call it a day when a gust of wind took my hat and deposited it in the lake - out of reach of course. Time for coffee, while the wind did its job on my hat bringing it closer to the bank...More entertainment as I spent a good 15mins chasing my hat...which I finally landed with my net - not what I was hoping would be the first thing in it! I decided to have a last cast and as if someone was writing a story I was into a fish. After a 10min fight, including two trips to my net, I landed my first fish - a beautiful 3lb rainbow.

Would I go back: Absolutely!

FISH EAGLE

Visited here yesterday. The unseasonably cold and windy conditions are forecast to last, so I could not wait any longer - you see this was my first outing with a fly rod after a quick casting lesson and bit of practice on a local field...

First impressions: very friendly and helpful staff, and once I explained it was my first outing I was given a comprehensive overview of the facility and tips/advice on how/where fish were being caught.

The location: parking (until the lakeside dries-out) is in the car park where you will find the SportFish tackle shop, but the lake hut is somewhat hidden behind. Despite its proximity to the M4 and having a railway line as the north side boarder, this is an unexpectedly pleasant location - OK, I don't exactly have anything to compare it to yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon here.

The Fishing: For most of the afternoon I was the entertainment - gusts putting my casts into the reeds, trees and even my tackle-bag, as I made my way around the lake. True to his word, the guy who sold me my ticket dropped by to give me a few tips and look through my flybox to point out my best options. I was having a great time despite the wind - my casting was improving, and the sun even put in the occasional appearance. I was about to call it a day when a gust of wind took my hat and deposited it in the lake - out of reach of course. Time for coffee, while the wind did its job on my hat bringing it closer to the bank...More entertainment as I spent a good 15mins chasing my hat...which I finally landed with my net - not what I was hoping would be the first thing in it! I decided to have a last cast and as if someone was writing a story I was into a fish. After a 10min fight, including two trips to my net, I landed my first fish - a beautiful 3lb rainbow.

Would I go back: Absolutely!

Hi Saxman, I am off there tomorrow and like you this is going to be my first ever outing. any recomendations on set up/flies?

Fish Eagle.

colboro

Last edited:

sax_man

Hi Saxman, I am off there tomorrow and like you this is going to be my first ever outing. any recomendations on set up/flies?

Fish Eagle.

just saw your post - did you manage to visit? How did you fair? I got lucky with a Gold-Head Olive after trying various buzzers and bloodworm nymphs on a 5weight rod, WF floating line and 9' tapered flourocarbon leader with a 3ft 6lb 4X tippet...

mickey2fish

Fish Eagle.

I'm off on 5 Jul for my first solo fish. Do you have any issues

saracen1

Fished Haywards Farm with my best mate last Sunday in windy (& cold!) conditions, and for 3 hours we had no action. We then moved to a corner we had not fished during the afternoon, and in 7 casts landed 4 rainbows (2 each) weighing 3lbs, 3lbs 5oz, 3lbs 12oz and 4lbs 5oz. Turned into a good day, and the lucky fly was a white zonker. Always had good fishing here, and if you manage to hook one of the big brownies, good luck, they are a nightmare to land!! Tight lines everyone.

JAT

Sportfish Game Fishing Centre fishing report

Week ending 21st May 2017

BROWN: 5
RAINBOW: 115
OTHER: 0
TOTAL: 123

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 3lb 12oz
BEST FISH: 10lb Rainbow Toby Burrows 12lb Brown John Combe
ROD AVERAGE: 4.44

Notes
Some anglers have struggled from the bank particularly in the bright sunshine but those on the boats have had bags up into the 20s including a fabulous brown for regular John Combe which was safely returned. Floating lines have, at times, been swapped for intermediates but fish still haven’t been far down despite the less favourable conditions at times. Buzzers, hares ear, damsels and diawl bach working well also snakes have taken a lot of fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAT

Re: Sportfish Game Fishing Centre fishing report

Week ending 28th May 2017

BROWN: 2
RAINBOW: 145
OTHER: 6
TOTAL: 153

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 3lb 9oz
BEST FISH: 12lb Rainbow Martin Thumwood
ROD AVERAGE: 4.39

Notes
A mixed week saw some angler struggle more than others while some individuals caught at will. The boats once again have proven to be a big advantage with some catching in excess of 25 fish in a single day. This week has seen the first of the blue and golden trout landed and the most notable fish for the week was a 12lb+ rainbow for regular Martin Thumwood. Damsels are hatching in huge number and have taken plenty of fish. Blobs, boobies, diawl bachs, hare’s ears, buzzers and PTN have all caught well too.

The tagged fish competition is still going strong and the cash fish with the yellow tag, having been lost, is still yet to be landed. The cash pot is now in excess of £550 so don’t forget to put your pound in the pot before you start fishing! There are also plenty of orange tagged fish in there to give you a free day’s C&R on us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Re: Sportfish Game Fishing Centre fishing report - w/e 4/6/17

Week ending 4th June 2017

BROWN: 4
RAINBOW: 102
OTHER: 5
TOTAL: 111

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 3lb 1oz
BEST FISH: 14lb 8oz Mr Mitch Dow
ROD AVERAGE: 3

Notes
This week 4 fantastic double figure rainbow trout were caught, the best being to Mitch Dow at 14lb 8oz caught on a buzzer. Double figure fish of 10lb, 10lb 4oz and 12lb were also landed. Boat fishing has been very productive, especially for those fishing near the aerators fishing floating lines with buzzers and diawl bachs.

Top class fly fisherman and top rod Alan Tyson landed 25 rainbows from the bank using a selection of small nymphs fished very slowly.

Blue trout and golden trout have also made an appearance this week having been recently introduced to add a little variety!

The prize pot of £551 is still waiting to be claimed for the most wanted fish in Berkshire! To enter, simply put a £1 in the tagged fish pot when buying your ticket for a chance of winning a free catch and release ticket (Orange tag) or more importantly the other coloured tag wins you the money!

al_adams

I believe it's Sportfish at Reading.

pendlefly

Hi Jim, it is at haywards farm lake, in berkshire check out sportfish game fishing centre or details in sportfish catalogue.

JohnH

Jim, as per comments above it used to be Haywards Farm trout fishery. Was run for a number of years by a guy called Mike Stratton, who was well known on the Reading fishing scene as both a tackle dealer and very skilled all-round angler for decades. He sold up to Sportfish 3 or 4 years ago and I believe he passed away just recently.

The water quality in some of those Kennet valley gravel pits just west of Reading was always very good, so I'm not surprised a couple of the smaller ones such as these have become a good trout fishery.

Latest posts