Hazel Copse (Wilfs), Surrey

getintomynet

Hi folks,

Hazel Copse is a two lake fly fishing venue, accessible from London, approx 30 mins from M25, stocked with Rainbows and occasional brown and blue. Wilf isn't on line, so I promised him I would help make the community aware that he has dropped his prices in hope of getting some more people down. Its now only £15 1 fish & C&R. I think this is outstanding value, so please do consider giving him a visit. I've put more details on my blog.

Perhaps if some of you have fished there you can add your endorsement here? Business is down and it would be great if even 1 new person went down to try it out.

Many thanks

Giles
GetIntoMy.Net

budgie

I discovered Hazel Copse in September. I was looking for somewhere to fish that had deep enough water that the fish would still be in good condition at the back end of the summer months (most local fisheries are chalk spring fed and are relatively shallow, so the fish become very stressed during the summer months). Hazel Copse is on the Wealden Clay and both lakes are deep (10-14 ft) with central islands. The fishery is located just off the A281 just before you get to the Surrey/West Sussex border.

I was fishing there yesterday with a friend who had not fished it before. The first lake, which usually fishes well, was dour and I later learned from Wilf that a few days before a bunch of lads had really hammered in for 2 days, so the fish were obviously still a littlle fly shy. However, the second lake was fishing well and we had 10 fish between us. All fully finned and in excellent condition. Wilf is very particular in the quality of the fish he stocks, and it is very rare to find a fish that is not in good condition. Most fish are in the 2-3 lb range and there are always a few 5-7lb fish in the lakes. Mainly rainbows, but if you are fishing deep, it is not unusual to pick up an occaisional brownie.

This is mainly a nymphig fishery, and the usual patterns of PTN, GRHE, crunchers, damsels and buzzers will all work on their day.

C&R fisheries are rare in Surrey, so this small fishery is well worth supporting. Wilf has dropped his usual price of £20 for 1 fish then C&R (which is already the cheapest I am aware of in the Surrey/Hampshire area) down to £15 for the winter months. Please give it a try.

steve collyer

It's a fun venue & packed with hard-fighting fish.
I first fished there in about 1987, soon after it had opened. Being my "local", I've probably been a good 50 times over the years.

An excellent place to try various flies to test for effectiveness, because if you can't catch at Hazel Copse then you may as well give up completely! Some days it can be a case of every throw a coconut :eek:

I hope he survives & since he's reverted back to £15 c&r (keeping 1) this must be just about the best value fishery in the SE.

In the last 2 seasons I've returned fish of 10lb, 9lb & several over 7lb. I also caught several browns over 4lb.

I just tend to use buzzers here. Those & a cat's whisker are the weapons of choice.
Hopefully it'll still be going in April when I'll visit again. Try as I might, I just can't get enthusiastic about fishing for trout in the middle of Winter...

Last edited:
I used to fish there all the time until I moved to Essex.

A great value fishery that beats the pants of the Albury estates for quality of fish and VFM - Albury is simply prettier - but who looks at the scenary when you are catching fish ;)

Bests

Benjamin

budgie

Thought I'd get in one more session at Hazel Copse before returning to work after the festive season. Obviously several others had a similar idea. There were 12 people fishing - so maybe Wilf's dropping the price a little has encouraged a few folk to try it for the first time or to revisit.

The fishing was challenging in the morning, with the fish lying deep and wanting the fly fishing slow, but things picked up around midday with the fish moving up in the water and becoming more active and willing to chase a fly. Probably 60-70 fish caught on the day, with about 80% being released, to a variety of flies and methods.

Had a great day.

chub1

Usually have a few trips during the course of the year.Usually pretty prolific and some good sized fish stocked.
Buzzer fishing can be really good but all methods will catch.Pools just a tad small and even midweek can get busy,you also get the i won't move an inch brigade who are sat in one spot all day long.Have seen some atrocious handling of fish as well on quite a few occasions AND by his regulars!!!!:eek:Give Wilf his due,if its fishing hard he will tell you so and even at £20 its damn good value.
Hope to get down there in February given a decent spot of weather.
Back at £15 its very good value.Coarse fishing at Bury Hill or Willinghurst would probably set you back almost as much:thumbs:
Perhaps a meet could be aranged at some point?

Last edited:

budgie

Have seen some atrocious handling of fish as well on quite a few occasions AND by his regulars!!!!:eek:

I agree with your comment. Ideally, Wilf should post up some guidelines on C&R in the "clubhouse"

I personally like to move around the fishery, and typically move off a spot after a couple of fish. Like you, I have also noticed a tendency for the odd fisherman putting down roots: not a problem unique to this fishery.

Perhaps a meet could be aranged at some point?

I'd certainly be up for that.

carpy10

okey dokey went there and pulled into the carpark driving through the well maintained landscaped grounds lol..4 cars in the parking area .set up and went on 1st lake with nothing happening so went on larger lake had nothing now 12 oclock and not a bit 4 others fishing and not alot happening .lunch time me thinks...go back on top lake 5 mins fishing bang 2lb rainbow 10 mins later another 10 mins later bang feels a good fish keeping deep thinking its a grass carp awhile goes by still no sign of the fish slowly coming in..get a glimpse and nearly ***** myself..then it takes a massive run adventurely get it to the net wowcha get a witness to verify the weight a nice big rainbow a tad over 11lb happy days a new pb was a 6.5lb b4 this beasty:thumbs::thumbs:happy days

budgie

Chatting to Wilf on Friday he mentioned that a near 12 lb rainbow had been stocked into the first lake on wednesday. It was caught and returned on thursday, so the experience didn't put the fish off for long.

On friday it was similar, very hard work in the morning with only a few fish caught to orange blobs or small imitative nymphs (go figure), but from midday to about 4 pm the fish turned on and everyone started to catch.:)

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

A meet up could be fun... in March or April ;)

Either could work for me. I retire at easter, so more flexible on dates in April.

There are about 15-16 fishing pegs, so if we can get up to 10-12 folk interested it would allow us to move around and still leave a couple of slots for the locals.

Dave

chub1

okey dokey went there and pulled into the carpark driving through the well maintained landscaped grounds lol..4 cars in the parking area .set up and went on 1st lake with nothing happening so went on larger lake had nothing now 12 oclock and not a bit 4 others fishing and not alot happening .lunch time me thinks...go back on top lake 5 mins fishing bang 2lb rainbow 10 mins later another 10 mins later bang feels a good fish keeping deep thinking its a grass carp awhile goes by still no sign of the fish slowly coming in..get a glimpse and nearly ***** myself..then it takes a massive run adventurely get it to the net wowcha get a witness to verify the weight a nice big rainbow a tad over 11lb happy days a new pb was a 6.5lb b4 this beasty:thumbs::thumbs:happy days

Nice one:thumbs:

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Meet around April:thumbs: Might even be able to persuaded him to shut it for 10.Think he told me a while ago 15 was the required amount.
:D

carpy10

if inthe week he would close for 10-12 members :thumbs:give him a bell 01403822878

benisa

HI
If you need the number made up to 10 give me a shout great to meet up with Ben, If so bring the rod you wer talking about ( Ben) Dave
PM

chub1

All sounds good to me.
Lets have a natter nearer the time:thumbs::thumbs:

steve collyer

In my opinion, the fishery struggles to take more than 12 anglers. 6 per lake is as many as I ever like to see there during a day, else you're tripping over each other.
Apart from the Irish dude with the bungs who never moves for 8 hours! :whistle:

Latest posts